Sign in with
Your question

Quick question regarding case fan and psu.

Last response: in Components
November 17, 2009 9:16:02 PM

I'm going to order 2 more of these for my case, will I be able to hook them up to my PSU or motherboard? (total of 4 fans in the case.)

Thanks!
November 17, 2009 9:34:16 PM

Count the number of fan headers on your MoBo.....it's in the manual. If the number of headers exceeds the number of fans, you are OK.

Alternately you can connect the fans to a molex connector from your PSU. Molex connectors, generally "stack", so you can plug one into the back of another.

MoBos often come w/ software and sometimes even additional sensors to control fans based upon temperature.

Otherwise, you can use something like the NZXT Sentry 2 to connect several fans

http://www.nzxt.com/products/sentry_2/
November 17, 2009 9:37:17 PM

Hi the problem is that I don't 'have' this system yet, I am waiting until Thursday to order it and I am trying to figure out some stuff in the mean time. Thing right now is that my case can hold 2 extra fans but I know nothing about case fans. So I am kind of lost but I will try to find online manual, thanks!
Related resources
November 17, 2009 9:45:14 PM

There are 3 pin locations which you can plug the cord from the fan into. From the pictures those fans seem to have both 3 pin and 4 pin connectors, so you can connect them to the motherboard and have control over their speed, or hook them up to the PSU and they will run at full speed. Do NOT hook them up to both the motherboard and the power supply.
November 17, 2009 9:45:23 PM

what should i be looking at here
November 17, 2009 9:49:16 PM

It only has a header for the CPU fan and a single system fan header so you will need to run the majority of your fans off of molex connectors from your PSU.
November 17, 2009 9:53:47 PM

Okay the PSU has this;

Connectors
1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 4-Pin/8-Pin EPS Connector
6 x Peripheral
6 x SATA
2 x Floppy
1 x PCI-E

What are the 6 x peripherals? Is that where my fans should hook into?
November 17, 2009 9:55:17 PM

the 6x Peripherals are molex connectors, there will be 3 strings with 2 connectors per string, the fans will hook into these connectors.
November 17, 2009 10:00:58 PM

Sweet thanks alot! You helped me learn more about this. :D  So if I have it right I will be able to support a total of 6 fans on this PSU right? And the 3 pin connectors on the MOBO are well... 3 pins. xD
November 17, 2009 10:07:55 PM

You can support way more than 6 fans on the PSU, you can safely connect 3 or 4 fans to a single molex connector. The fans usually have a male and female molex connector so you can daisy chain multiples together and not have to run all of your strings of molex connectors all over the case.
November 17, 2009 10:20:09 PM

I guess the problem I'm having is that I can't visually see the fans connecting to the PSU. I guess I will find out when I get it, thanks alot for your help. 8)
!