Sign in with
Your question

great bandwidth but 56k pageloads

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 12, 2004 7:58:08 PM

I have a cable connection and a Buffalo wireless router. My pc and the cable modem are hardwired into the router and my wife's laptop is the wireless client. I get great pageloads but she doesn't. Actually, she did get excellent speed before I had to reformat my hdd but now her pages load like 56k. She is no more than 2ft away from the router and the icon in the task bar reports she is connecting at 48mbps so I assumed that maybe she has a windows issue.I did call Buffalo's tech support(very good service)but they think my settings are ok. After that I ran adaware and deleted two spyware programs, defraged her hard drive (she's only useing about 20% of her capacity, deleted cookies and wiped history in IE (btw she uses netscape but IE shows no change in pageload). I also checked her security/ privacy settings and did a windows update but still there is no change. I'm out of ideas. The logical guess is that she needs a driver update but her system was fine before I wiped my hard drive so I can't see how that would have changed anything. In network connections my computer (see specs below)has two nic's on the mobo (one of which I disabled because it is not being used) and a 1394 connection. My wife's computer has a broadcom wireless connection and a 1394 connection. I'm sure there are some other specs I overlooked but I'm not in front of either computer right now. I'll post more info later. Can someone give me any ideas about how to fix this? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Btw my wife has an emachines laptop bith Windows xp home and sp1.

A7n8x dlx 1004 Uber Agressive settings
2500Barton (Bastards locked it) Radeon 9200
WD 60g @7200w 8mg Cache Crucial 2700 2x 256
AMD ME??? Yeah they did me alright.
June 12, 2004 10:04:15 PM

What about file sharing speeds? Transfer a few files from machine to machine. Use a watch second hand if you need to or you can go download and run something like QCheck to measure your available bandwidth. You might also mess with your MTU settings. There are several ways to do that, however you can go get preconfigured patches as speedguide.net That might help. I doubt it is a bandwidth issue, and more of a stack issue. There are also patches there that can speed up browsing by enabling more sessions to a page by the client machine. Hard to quantify how much they work usually though, because with broadband generally surfing is so quick anyway.
June 13, 2004 4:29:14 AM

First let me say thanks for getting back to me so fast. Unfortunately I have little knowledge about networking so I think you'll have to dumb it down a bit. Prior to this I have never had another computer in the house so I don't know the first thing about connectiong to another comp thru mine. U tried to download the qcheck utility but the site I was directed to wanted me to register and didn't provide a download link (very illogical). Again sorry ID10T here so I haven't the faintest idea what mtu settings are. I'll go to speedguide.net and browse around anyway, maybe I'll learn something.

PS. I went to your site, nice dog you have there.

June 14, 2004 2:26:24 AM

Well I downloaded the file from speedguide but when I optimized the network adapters I didn't see a change in the pageload. As a last ditch effort I went to a system restore point from last month which also required me to enable the network adapters again. I still don't know what I changed this time but her pageloads are fast now so everything's on track. Thanks again for the help.
Btw can you point me in the right direction for some information about transferring files to another machine on the network. Thanks

June 14, 2004 12:23:36 PM

If a system restore solved it then it could be a spyware issue. I'd go get Spybot search and destroy, and teatimer which comes with it and run it on that machine. Any machine on your LAN frankly.

Sites for tutorials and walkthroughs abound. Google is your friend there. In the meantime here is a decent one of hundreds of windows networking websites with walkthroughs.

<A HREF="http://www.wown.com/" target="_new">http://www.wown.com/&lt;/A>
!