Power Supply Orientation

pilotdude

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Fristly: I've got a Antec Three Hundred case, and a coolermaster extreme 650W PSU.

I've noticed that the PSU is only supposed to go in one way, due to the position of the screws, but the fan faces down into the bottom of the case so taht there's maybe a 2cm space between the bottom of the case and the fan itself. Is that okay? Is it drawing enough air? I'm only asking because my PSU fan has recently "crapped itself" for lack of a better phrase. The fan is loud as hell and the PSU keeps overheating so I'm going to buy another one. My only concern is that ALL the PSU's I've seen so far would go in the same way, instead of teh fan facing up towards the MB, where it could draw air properly.

Is this a design error in the Antec case or what?

Flip the psu so that the fan is on top. It will draw in warm air from the case and exhaust out the rear panel. That is by design in cases with bottom mounted power supplies. There is nothing wrong with the case. Don't worry! It's okay :)

BTW - Good choice! The Antec Three Hundred is an extremely popular gaming case. Ventilation, airflow, and cooling are excellent.

pilotdude

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I just did that Johnny and it definately looks the right way around now and it's circulating air well.

I didn't know a PSU could be flipped like that. But then again, the guys who assembled my custom system shouldve put it up the logical way in the first place, so I suppose i'll go have a chat with them.

Thanks

Latest posts