Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Having 2 hard disk drives

Last response: in Storage
June 17, 2011 12:38:36 PM

I have currently a IDE hard drive......and planning to have another but SATA hard disk....

so my question is if i will keep xp on IDE and win 7 on SATA.........will this work ?

and how i will then switch the OS as required............ :sarcastic: 

srry bad english!!!

More about : hard disk drives

a c 113 G Storage
June 17, 2011 2:41:31 PM

To install on two separate disks, not sure how well that will work. You may want to just keep one disk powered on to run the OS, and when you want to boot to the other, power that drive up, and disconnect the second.
m
l
a b G Storage
June 17, 2011 2:53:18 PM

If you have the upgrade version of win 7 do a clean install. But it will put the boot files on the XP disk. If you have the retail version of win 7 unhook the IDE drive from the motherboard and install win 7 to the Sata drive. Then hook up the XP drive. You should now have a dual boot.
m
l
Related resources
a c 113 G Storage
June 17, 2011 2:55:51 PM

almartin said:
If you have the upgrade version of win 7 do a clean install. But it will put the boot files on the XP disk. If you have the retail version of win 7 unhook the IDE drive from the motherboard and install win 7 to the Sata drive. Then hook up the XP drive. You should now have a dual boot.

That won't set up dual-boot, if you unhook the XP drive when you install Win 7 how will it know to setup a second boot option to XP?
m
l
June 20, 2011 7:12:59 AM

ok thanx guys for giving answers.....

now i am thinking of placing both xp and win 7 on IDE hard disk....and connect the SATA hard disk for intalling files and storage stuff.....so can i do that.....?
m
l
a c 113 G Storage
June 20, 2011 1:45:26 PM

anuk07 said:
ok thanx guys for giving answers.....

now i am thinking of placing both xp and win 7 on IDE hard disk....and connect the SATA hard disk for intalling files and storage stuff.....so can i do that.....?

Install XP first, then install Win7, as long as you don't select to format the drive during setup, it will create a dual-boot system.
m
l
June 20, 2011 2:24:20 PM

Quote:
................................ it will create a dual-boot system.

Can you please elaborate the word "dual-boot" :sarcastic:  ........i actually never used this word. :o  .......but may be i know this :D  ........
m
l

Best solution

a c 113 G Storage
June 20, 2011 2:26:51 PM

anuk07 said:
Quote:
................................ it will create a dual-boot system.

Can you please elaborate the word "dual-boot" :sarcastic:  ........i actually never used this word. :o  .......but may be i know this :D  ........

Means exactly what you were trying to do, have two operating systems on one computer with an option to switch between them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi_boot
June 20, 2011 7:22:41 PM

Best answer selected by anuk07.
m
l
!