Sign in with
Your question

New to overclocking, any useful guides for my specs?

Tags:
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
October 31, 2011 3:26:41 PM

I have just purchased a new computer, and I plan on doing some overclocking.

I have bought: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
Intel i7 2600k
CORSAIR Vengeanceā„¢ DDR3 1600MHz 16GB CL9 Kit
MSI GTX 580 Lightning Extreme Edition 3GB
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Obsidian 800D Tower

I plan on overclocking the CPU and GPU.

What do you guys think I should read up on? Any links would also be much appreciated.

More about : overclocking guides specs

October 31, 2011 4:04:36 PM

well i think you better not overclock your cpu cause on cpu it can leave it damaged so if u wanna overclock your video card do it but download pmonitor of gpuz to keep track of temepture if your video card is geting too heat then just return the clock to its default.
well i hope iv was helpful
Related resources
a c 295 K Overclocking
October 31, 2011 4:32:04 PM

mRt0x1c said:
well i think you better not overclock your cpu cause on cpu it can leave it damaged so if u wanna overclock your video card do it but download pmonitor of gpuz to keep track of temepture if your video card is geting too heat then just return the clock to its default.
well i hope iv was helpful

Wrong
November 1, 2011 7:10:49 PM

Sandy bridge overclocking is rather easy. My experience was:

Step 1: Figure out how to use offset voltages with LLC to get the load and idle voltages you want. Takes some experimentation.
Step 2: Up the turbo multi, raise Vcore as required.
Step 3: Once you're at the frequency you want, try to get the lowest Vcore possible, you might be able to get a bit lower Vcore by lowering the PLL voltage (I shaved off 0.01v on my Vcore by turning my PLL from the stock 1.8v down to 1.55v).

BSOD cheat sheat:
0x101 = increase vcore
0x124 = increase/decrease vcore or QPI/VTT...have to test to see which one it is
0x0A = unstable RAM/IMC, increase QPI first, if that doesn't work increase vcore
0x1E = increase vcore
0x3B = increase vcore
0x3D = increase vcore
0xD1 = QPI/VTT, increase/decrease as necessary, can also be unstable Ram, raise Ram voltage
0x9C = QPI/VTT most likely, but increasing vcore has helped in some instances
0x50 = RAM timings/Frequency or uncore multi unstable, increase RAM voltage or adjust QPI/VTT, or lower uncore if you're higher than 2x
0x109 = Not enough or too Much memory voltage
0x116 = Low IOH (NB) voltage, GPU issue (most common when running multi-GPU/overclocking GPU)
0x7E = Corrupted OS file, possibly from overclocking. Run sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r

Source: http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/914262-official-san...
November 1, 2011 10:36:13 PM

Awesome stuff, gentlemen! I am learning new stuff from every post!
!