Sign in with
Your question

SAMSUNG external hard drive suddenly shows up as local disk

Last response: in Storage
June 17, 2011 1:03:55 PM

Hello,

I had my SAMGUNG 500G external hard drive in my computer today when I had to reboot the computer. The external hard drive is not showing as a USB storage device, but as 'local drive'. It says I need to reformat the external hard drive but that all of my files will be deleted when I do it. I am now using a different computer but am having the same problem.

How can I fix this problem so that I don't lose my work?

Thank you in advance for your help.
a c 104 G Storage
June 18, 2011 5:04:40 PM

Hello,

First thing to do is disconnect the external HDD. Reboot your computer to the desktop so the BIOS recognizes the internal fixed drive/s. Then check in Disk Management to see the OS sees the Internal HDDs properly. Then attach the USB cord and see if it is recognized as the USB mass storage device.
m
l
October 18, 2012 11:55:44 AM

i'm having the same problem with my samsung 500gb external hard drive. what did you do to fix it? i can't lose the files saved there since i don't have a back-up of them.
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
October 18, 2012 3:13:57 PM

patrickstar27 said:
i'm having the same problem with my samsung 500gb external hard drive. what did you do to fix it? i can't lose the files saved there since i don't have a back-up of them.

Hi Patrick, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

We need to see exactly what is going on, to give you the best advice.

Please tell us the Make/Model # of the ext drive (home installed case or commercial) and how you are connecting it to your computer. Also are there other alternate connections available, like firewire, or eSATA choices?

Connect the external drive to your computer, and boot into the StartUp BIOS. See if your boot drive and the external drive are recognized by the BIOS.

Then go to Disk Management (right click on My computer, Manage, Computer management, in the lower left, Disk Management.)

Please upload a screenshot of the Disk Management dialog box, esp the lower graphical area (imageshack or photobucket) and post it on your response so we can see exactly how your OS sees the external drive, and what the next step would be.
m
l
Related resources
!