Sign in with
Your question

Bad pbr sig error

Last response: in Storage
June 17, 2011 2:02:21 PM

hello,
my dell desktop crashed so i removed the hard disk into a usb removable encloser and connected it to my laptop, i could see all my files in the hard drive which suggest to me that the hard drive is still ok. but i keep getting a ''bad pbr sig error...media failure check cable'' each time i try booting to it. I tried to do a fixboot at the repair console using a bootabe xp cd but cannot see the the usb hard drive.
Pls can anyone help.

More about : bad pbr sig error

a c 128 G Storage
June 17, 2011 2:37:56 PM

You can't boot off your drive like that by just connecting it to USB.

You need to replace the drive, and install Windows on that, and copy your files over.
June 17, 2011 3:33:43 PM

hang-the-9 said:
You can't boot off your drive like that by just connecting it to USB.

You need to replace the drive, and install Windows on that, and copy your files over.

thanks hang-the-9,
i thought i could dual boot my laptop os and the hard disk os. Please what do you mean by ''you need to repalace the drive'' which drive?
Related resources
a c 128 G Storage
June 17, 2011 4:05:14 PM

The hard drive you took out. Get a new one for the desktop so you can install Windows on it without having to worry about deleting any of your files.
June 18, 2011 8:42:20 AM

hang-the-9 said:
The hard drive you took out. Get a new one for the desktop so you can install Windows on it without having to worry about deleting any of your files.

thanks
the mobo for desktop is crashed, i can't use a new one even on it. Pls there is something i am not getting, does it mean i cannot boot off my hard drive in usb encloser while it is connected to my laptop. I think it is possible to install os on a usb external hard drive, why can't i boot off the hard drive since it is now been use as external hard drive. Pls can you help clarify this issue. Thanks
a c 128 G Storage
June 20, 2011 1:44:20 PM

seyiisq said:
thanks
the mobo for desktop is crashed, i can't use a new one even on it. Pls there is something i am not getting, does it mean i cannot boot off my hard drive in usb encloser while it is connected to my laptop. I think it is possible to install os on a usb external hard drive, why can't i boot off the hard drive since it is now been use as external hard drive. Pls can you help clarify this issue. Thanks

You can boot from an external hard-drive, just not in the way you are trying.
While it's technically possible to install Windows on an external drive, it's not easy.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Create-a-Bootable-USB-d...

http://ftanada.wordpress.com/2009/02/15/install-windows...
!