Sign in with
Your question

Need a new DELL C521 HY175 mother board

Last response: in Motherboards
February 15, 2010 8:02:02 PM

Hi,

I'm switching from the graphics card forum to motherboards after a great deal of diagnostics....

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...

...I even tried the PCI diagnostics utility PCI32 which stated I had a 'Link Training Error' on SLOT 1, various manuals stated that this could only happen if the card is faulty or not seated properly, this is not the case.

So now I need help finding the best place to get a DELL C521 (HY175) mother board. Dell are looking for £150 which is a bit high.

Any thoughts ?

Also a good link to a guide for changing your mothee board would be good, I've never tried this before.

Thanks

PC: DELL C521 Athlon 62 X2 5000+ 2.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 7200 rpm, Galaxy 9600GT 500MG, Compro E900 twin tuner.
a c 435 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2010 12:28:32 PM

The bad news is your board is a btx form factor. It's very difficult to find a replacement board. One was on ebay in the states and the current bid is $81. Does your power supply have the connections for your new video card? Some high or mid range video cards require a 6 pin pci-e connector from the power supply which the dell probably doesn't have. Some also require a higher wattage power supply. If your board works with onboard video, I would leave the system as is and sell it, unless you want to purchase a better power supply.
a c 435 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2010 4:11:56 PM

You can also enter the bios and see if you can disable onboard video before installing the video card. I use the "del" key unless the post screen tells you otherwise.
Related resources
February 16, 2010 6:36:08 PM

Hi,

I've been running the system for the past year with the DELL 280W PSU ripped out completely, replaced with a 700W Arctic PSU (576W available to the 12V).

Galaxy supplied a handy 4 pin to 6 pin PCIe power connector adapter with the card. I know that the DELL C521 mother board is only spec'd at 25W max. for power through the PCIe socket connector, so maybe something fried here, I don't know. I don't know how much power the Galaxypart sucks through the PICe socket, even with the additional 6-pin power connector.

The DELL bios doesn't offer many changeable settings in this area. All you can do is set the Video to 'AUTO' or 'Onboard', but in both cases its states that an installed PCIe graphics card will take presidents anyway (I've tried both in any case).

A new base unit of similar spec will probably cost 2 or 3 times the price of a new board.

Next I need to look at a new case and mother board, then move the guts from the DELL C521 across.

February 19, 2010 1:00:49 PM

Hey,

I am having the exact same problem :S
Dead mobo and nowhere to replace it, except at Dell, which is charging one hundred and fifty dollars for an old refurbished motherboard.

Kinda upsets me..

Any progress guys? :/ 

Greetz,

Susp
February 19, 2010 6:26:48 PM

Nop, I'm gonna think on it for a while longer but I'm leaning towards buying the part from DELL.

A new base will cost too much right now and I found one thread that hinted at the CPU being bios locked to a DELL mother board (not sure if that's true, or how it could be acheived).

I'll live with the onboard graphics until I get too frustrated. The performance of my machine as always been fine, even on Win7, so I'm not lloking for a load of greif or cost to fix this.
!