Upgrade to core i7 or graphics card?

skate9345

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
i currently have a 4850 and a e5200 which im happy with but i wanna upgrade my pc, and i start between a graphics card or a processor,

im most into gaming and i play on 1680x1050 but i also want to multi task, either a graphics card or a core i7, the graphics card will be a 5870 and the core i7 is a 860 1156

tnx in advance

Solution
Were it me personally (I love upgrades) I'd go for both if I could afford it.

The video card upgrade will definitely show you some improvement in FPS. However you don't really need to much more at your resolution. In your case, I'd think a CPU upgrade would give you more breathing room in most of what you do. The 4850 itself isn't a slouch, so it should give you pretty decent performance at your resolution with most games.
Were it me personally (I love upgrades) I'd go for both if I could afford it.

The video card upgrade will definitely show you some improvement in FPS. However you don't really need to much more at your resolution. In your case, I'd think a CPU upgrade would give you more breathing room in most of what you do. The 4850 itself isn't a slouch, so it should give you pretty decent performance at your resolution with most games.

Solution

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I'd do CPU upgrade.
Even moving to a Core2Quad or Core2Duo would do your 4850 a world of wonders.

Changing to i7 is an expensive move, as you'll need new RAM, motherboard, and CPU. Jumping in to a Core2 Quad may be a much more cost effective exercise (depending on current RAM, board).

The 5870 and 5850 are out of stock everywhere, making for little choice for you now.

Your cpu/vga is reasonably matched now, but you might consider a i5-750 on a crossfire capable motherboard as a first step. It would not cost much more to use dual 4850 if you needed more vga power. 4 cores without hyperthreading seems to be more than enough for games and most other applications.

If you do not have at least 4gb, then that would be my first thing to upgrade.

skate9345

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009

ok, tnx, and yea its "enough" at least until next year

TRENDING THREADS