Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help! ASUS P6X58D Premium and Vertex 3

Last response: in Storage
June 17, 2011 5:33:27 PM

Hey y'all,

Let me start off by noting that I am an idiot. A disappointed idiot. I built a new PC in Jan/Feb of last year. What's relevant right now is that my mobo is the ASUS P6X58D Premium, which is *technically* SATA-III compatible. Based on recommendations from some others, and the (totally misguided) assumption that one on-board SATA 6 controller is as good as another, I bought a Vertex 3 240GB, my first SSD. Trouble is, I bought the Vertex 3 the day they were released, and before I had the benefit of user experience to guide my decision - purchase was based purely on the fact that I had a "SATA-6 compatible motherboard," and the benchmark performance of the SSD. Unfortunately, due to a ridiculous work schedule, I haven't had a chance to actually install the drive until this week.

I was going to do that tonight, but I've just learned that the P6X58D Premium uses the Marvell 9128 as its SATA-6 controller, which is attached to a PCIe 1x lane (5GB/s). Apparently, this spells "trash" when it comes to SATA-6 SSD performance. In short, I'm hearing that I'd be better off connecting the SSD to one of the Intel-based SATA-2 ports, since the performance from the Marvell controller is so bad.

So now, I'm not entirely sure what to do. Starting to build a new system right now is out of the question, and so I have a couple of options:

1) Try the card in the Marvell SATA-6 controller, see how it goes.
2) Plug the card into the Intel SATA2 controller, sob uncontrollably for a few minutes, and then accept the fact that an SSD that isn't being used to its full potential is better than no SSD at all.
3) Sell the Vertex 3 in favor of a SATA2 SSD that is a better match for my stupid MoBo (really don't want to do this, since there's no way I'll get enough to cover the price I paid, even though it has never been used).

So, my question is this: do I stick with one of the options above and just deal with it until I can start building a new rig, or do I consider something along the lines of:

3) Replacing the P6X58D Premium with a newer board that actually has a quality SATA 6 controller (which I really would like to avoid, since that locks me into the x58 chipset for even longer), or
4) Trying to find a PCIe SATA 6 add-on card - I don't know if these exist. If they do, I don't know if they're worthwhile. Even if they are, I don't know if that would get me any closer to the potential of the Vertex 3. Is this a viable option? This would definitely be my preference if so.

Thoughts? Are there options I'm missing?

As the saying goes, a fool and his money are soon parted. Lesson learned - I deviated from my normal over-the-top research this time, and won't make that mistake again.

Le sigh. Thanks, guys - hope you can help me out, here.
a c 256 G Storage
June 17, 2011 8:24:15 PM

SATA III (6Gb/s) PCIe add-on cards are available. Does you motherboard have an appropriate PCI-e 2.0 slot available for the card? If it does then you are in luck:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

It is my understanding you'll take a bit of a performance hit compared to onboard SATA connections.

Your other option would be to just connect your ssd to a SATA II (3Gb/s) connection on your motherboard and make do. Your ssd will still perform well. In fact, depending on what you do with your computer, you may not notice any difference bteween SATA III and SATA II.

Best solution

a b G Storage
June 19, 2011 6:07:02 PM

all cards that use the Marvell 6G chip will be limited to the same PCI-E x1 internal limitation regardless of the cards rated interface speed. Not worth buying the same thing you already have onboard.

Here's my Marvell 6G chip running my 240GB V3.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/asssdmsahciwith...

Here's the Intel.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/816/asssdrst9withs...

Take you pick and just use and enjoy it for now. Not worth the headaches of worrying about it.

PS. The new drive's GC, recovery times, and throttling tendiencies are far better than the first gen Sandforce drives. You'd be trading down in advancements by moving away from that drive even if it were connected to a 3G port.
Related resources
June 29, 2011 12:19:39 AM

Best answer selected by restatement3dofted.
June 29, 2011 12:21:07 AM

groberts101 said:
all cards that use the Marvell 6G chip will be limited to the same PCI-E x1 internal limitation regardless of the cards rated interface speed. Not worth buying the same thing you already have onboard.

Here's my Marvell 6G chip running my 240GB V3.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/asssdmsahciwith...

Here's the Intel.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/816/asssdrst9withs...

Take you pick and just use and enjoy it for now. Not worth the headaches of worrying about it.

PS. The new drive's GC, recovery times, and throttling tendiencies are far better than the first gen Sandforce drives. You'd be trading down in advancements by moving away from that drive even if it were connected to a 3G port.

Rock on, thanks a lot! That was a huge help - drive is up and running, Marvell controller it is! Cheers.
!