How to uninstall all drivers for printer on vista home computer

sadie Lucille

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
I have vista home. I also have xp installed. I have a dell AIO printer. It worked for along time and then it wouldn't work correctly anymore. I have tried uninstalling it several times, but I cannot get the software and drivers uninstalled to reinstall it. Please help. I am at my witts end. :cry:

A Windows update may have installed a driver, causing the glitch.

If in fact, the driver was not Uninstalled, try Roll back of the driver.

If no success, Delete the Printer (control panel > Printers/Faxes)
then reinstall.

If I had Vista, I would be ready for the funny farm too.
There are two tricks that can be helpful in uninstalling a program or driver from Vista:
A. push control alt delete and start the task manager. Click the processes tab. Find the Dell processes that are running, on the list. Now highlight the dell processes, and click "end process or stop process." Now check the rest of the list and END all the Dell processes.
Now that the processes have been ended, go into the control panel and delete the software or drivers. Bingo.

B. Start the computer in safe mode. When you do this, the printer software and drivers will not be running. Go into the control panel and delete the dell printer software.

Note: Look for a flashing icon in your taskbar. If you see that, click on the icon, and then click "allow." Vista is blocking your task, and asking you for permission to carry out the task.

Note: To install new drivers or software, it is necessary to shut off the antivirus FIRST.

sadie Lucille

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Thanks so much for your info.
I did everything you told me to do. When I restarted my computer, it read that it needed to install the printer drivers. I went to start and typed in Dell AIO and it came up as DLCjscxp.inf. Choose the program you want to use to open this file. I think this means the printer is still not uninstalled. It doesn't list it in the control panel. How would I completely delete the printer? It sounds like the drivers are uninstalled, though. When I tped in DLCjscxp, it showed the printer. I don't know what to do from here. I unplugged everything and then plugged them back in.

Thanks, Sadie :(

davidjuk

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
OK, here's my theory.

There are LOTS of peripherals and their accompanying drivers that simply won't uninstall quickly/easily/at all. I think the software kind of protects itself. (I just use printers, I know nothing about them)

I've had my fair share of this with HP printer drivers. In every case, and on every computer/laptop REGARDLESS OF vista or not, I've removed all existing drivers then downloaded and run the driver package from the manufacturers website.

I don't know if this helps, but I found it.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?docid=278582#Issue0_1

sadie Lucille

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Thanks again. I did all of that. I went to the Dell website you gave me, and downloaded everything for my printer, but it still does not work.

I don't know that much about computers, but I have Xp on my computer, also.
I was thinking if I downloaded Xp drivers and etc. instead of the Vista, if it would work? :??:

I could be wrong here but I think your Dell is actually a Lexmark 9500. Try pulling drivers for that from the Lexmark website and see if they behave better.

Before you install again, press your Windows key and R together and into the Open box, type msconfig then press Enter. Click the Services tab and tick "Hide all Microsoft". From the Dell Services which remain, sort out the printer suspects and untick them. Click Apply and then on the StartUp tab. If anything there looks Dell printer related, untick it, click Apply and OK your way out. Restart, tick "Don't show this message again" and hit Enter. The Printer should uninstall because no programme is calling for it, giving you a fresh start.