Advice for small pc

behour

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within 1-2 weeks

BUDGET RANGE:
200-500$

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:

Hd Movies, internet, emails, possible mid to high end games in the future. Needs to be upgradable because of this.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:

Speakers, keyboard and mouse, DVD CD player, hard drive. Already have from old computer will reuse. Already selected LCD screen as well.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES:

She would like the smallest case she could have with parts that are upgradable. A sleek design with some or preferably no vent holes. She would also like it standing/tower. Here is a case she likes but I am unsure if I could put anything decent in it. This would give you an idea on her preferences.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811190109

OVERCLOCKING: Not needed

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Smallest black tower sleek case, very little wires, upgradable psu, limited noise, future upgradable graphics card. Possibly have intergraded graphic cards like an hd3200 or something higher end that can handle HD movies with no problems (recommendation if not included on motherboard). Wireless networking card separate or integrated. Looking at a dual core Celeron 2.4 GHz CPU, 1g-2g of ram but open to suggestions.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I was once trying to build a small gaming computer for myself because i wanted it to be closest to the size of my xbox 360. i once had a HP Pavilion Slimline computer. Are you wanting something similar to that that takes low profile graphics cards but slightly bigger?

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
As jsc said you are not going to be able to play high end games, but by that, games like Crysis on decent specs at least. The best low profile graphics card you can get is a Nvidia Galaxy 9600 GT. It's a mid performing card i had a look at the performance of it and it will play the latest not so demanding games out today at good framerates such as call of duty 4. You'd get about 50 FPS and sometimes over 60 so the game play would be enjoyable. I don't know if that's the case for the low profile card. I'll have a look and see if i can send you links of individual components that you can use to build a computer. Unfortunately they don't really offer any small gaming computers out there so you just have to build one yourself and don't worry building a computer is not to hard it's just like putting high tech lego together.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Ok lastly, unfortunately i'm from the UK so i won't know how prices will differ in the U.S. Maybe if you put your budget up to a $600 price range. Also when i was trying to configure a small computer, the only problem i encountered was trying to find a micro ATX PSU over 300watts. If you can find a micro ATX PSU that comes with a micro ATX case of your choice that is 350 or 400watts then that would be a useful start.

behour

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Not looking for a high end gaming computer.

It does not need to be powerful to start (that is why I was looking into built in graphics cards). Gaming as I have said will be most likely a future thing.

It just has to play HD videos very well and lower end games with no problems. Plus the other features I talked about above.

Thanks for the replies

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006

He is asking for a pretty steep requirements. Small as possible but upgradable? Very difficult. The 300w PSU in the Sugo will handle an ATI 4850 or Nvidia 250, both of which will play at 19x12 res with some lowered detail. Next gen cards will use less power, and be more powerful so the upgrade path is there. The Zotac board will accept a Q9650, which is by no means a dog, but it is pricey. $200-$500 is a pretty broad range. You can build a nice M-ITX setup for $500. Cant build sh_t for $200.

If he really wants power and the ability to upgrade hes going to have to deal with at least a M-ATX mobo and a case that it will fit in, which is a good deal bigger than M-ITX, but your rapidly approaching more than $500 there.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
micro itx is ridicoulous. lol scrap that idea. Look at my links that i have shown. Micro atx motherboard, can anyone find any good intel dual core deals that comes with motherboards. i'm thinking a 2.4ghz core 2 duo. Something reasonably nice.

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006

Whats wrong with M-ITX? For a machine that will be used for a light gaming, web browsing, email checking, movie streaming/watching machine its more than adequate. Some people want something really small. M-ITX fills the bill there.

M-ATX obviously has it advantages, but that advantage comes with a price increase.

And FYI, the build I posted in the other thread, will run as fast or possibly faster than what your putting together. Bigger doesnt always mean faster.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Micro Itx is tiny, does it even have a PCI-e x16 slot to put video cards in. I think my old Pavilion Slimline had one PCI-e x16, and one PCI slot. But better to get micro atx i think seriously if you want to game. Micro Itx mobos sometimes don't even have another 4 pin connector on the motherboard to enhance the power going to the CPU from the PSU. This is normal on micro atx and atx mobos that have a 24 pin connect plus another 4 pin somewher on the board. This limits the processor the person can get to a 65watt processor at maximum.

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Like I said, a 790GX-based system would be perfect. Here is a Biostar micro-ATX 790GX board. It's pretty darn expandable, compatible with all current AM3 cpus, and has Crossfire capability to boot. It also has the single most powerful integrated GPU, and a $15 MIR.

I agree. That is a very nice motherboard that will work great for the intended use. I've been considering using it for a new HTPC build.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
wooo, i've never seen that before lol. It looks good, although it would be nice and would still be classed as micro itx if it had a PCI slot on it. My HP Pavilion Slimline when i had it had a micro itx with one PCI-e x16 and one PCI as i sated before. But yeah i agree with you would be a good mobo. But concerning the case, usually itx cases don't have big enough power supplies and by that i mean 400 watts. They might not be long enough to house the galaxy 9600gt low profile graphics card. Or might not even have a low profile slot.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
smithereen, yes that mobo looks good. How much is a cheap but good processor you can have on that. Then stick a Galaxy 9600 gt on it if it's going in a low profile case, i recommend micro atx case rather than itx case, you won't be able to put a proper descrete GPU in a micro itx case. I mean a gaming card not something like a krappy ATI 3450, that's a nightmare card.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Is it possible to get a better deal with Intel Core 2 Duo or a cheap quad? Since the processors are quite a bit better. I'm sure some older core 2 duos must be about the same price as an old athlon, it's just the motherboards that might cost more? Try getting a Athlon 6400+. For $60 is there anything else better.