HDMI input makes for poor display

batman712

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
I just bought a new LG 23" monitor/TV (M237WD) to hook up to my laptop. The monitor has both DVI and HDMI inputs, and my laptop has just an HDMI out. When I hook up my laptop to the monitor with cable 1 (HDMI [out]-DVI [in]), everything looks great. However, when I use cable 2(HDMI [out]-HDMI [in]), the colors are a bit off and the desktop text looks fuzzy. Also, the signal with DVI lists (on the LG monitor screen) as 1920x1080@60Hz, whereas the signal with HDMI lists as 1080i (not p). I have tried swapping out the HDMI-HDMI cable, so it's not that. I also had the same thing happen when hooking the monitor up to another computer's HDMI out port.

I've tried using Just Scan; it fixed the scaling but not the picture quality. I've also tried renaming the HDMI port to "PC," but that also did nothing. Should there be a difference between HDMI and DVI picture rendering?

(I need to use HDMI because that's the only input that's HDCP compatible.)

Thanks!

G

I also have the same problem.. Here are some settings you can try to make the display look better when using a hdmi->hdmi cable:

a. Go to picture settings and select user1 or user2 settings
b. In the user settings, set sharpness to zero, adjust contrast and brightness to your liking
c. Now go to the xd picture setting menu and set all the xd corrections to off
d. Use

This will make the monitor behave a lot better and the display will not look as bad as it does with the regular hdmi settings.

Alternatively, since you have both the hdmi cables, use the hdmi->dvi cable to display text and use the hdmi->hdmi cable to playback movies and switch cables and inputs as required..

-- no1lives4ever

batman712

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Thanks for the reply. On the first suggestion, I think that text looks the best with sharpness set at around 40. Still, it is drastically different than the DVI input. I actually talked to LG and they said the unit has preprocessing for the HDMI inputs that you can't change. The HDMI is not made a computer input. So I have been using your second suggestion: DVI for PC, HDMI for movies. Also, LG said that both DVI and HDMI ports were HDCP compliant.

-BAT