SLOW & UNWANTED SPACE CONSUMPTION !!

Hi, I dont really know how much this question is applied
to this newsgroup section..but i really need it answered...
I'm having Celeron 633MHz processor & Intel 810
motherboard..Previously I had only one 20GB SEAGATE
harddisk(with 3 partitions--C,D,E) & 2 CDdrives in my
system that ran only on win-ME..It used to boot pretty
fast & there was no unwanted diskspace autoconsumption on
any of those drives.. Recently I've installed another 40GB
SAMGSUNG harddisk in addition and freshly partitioned &
formated both the HDDs(20GB partitions-C,E,F & 40GB
partitions-D,G,H) and setup a dual boot system with win-ME
on C: & win-XP on D:..
But now my system is booting fairly slower than before,
and more significantly some amount of disk space(say
16kb,40kb,76kb,136kb etc) is automatically consumed in all
the drives every 3 or 4 times the system boots..This
consumption is increasing gradually.. I've noticed that
space on drives of 20GB HDD is getting consumed by
multiples of 16kb & space on drives of 40GB HDD is getting
consumed by multiples of 32kb...
My question is:- Previously this peculiar thing was not
happening, then why is it happening now?? How can I stop
this unwanted space consumption in dual boot & make the
system boot faster like it did before???
Present file system for both win-ME & win-XP is FAT32.. My
present IDE conections are as below:-
HDD #20GB - master
HDD #40GB - slave
Both on the primary IDE channel

CD #1 - master
CD #2 - slave
Both on the secondary IDE channel..Is there anything wrong
with my present IDE connection or file system ?? If yes,
please suggest how it should be???

Please help..regards, Rahul..
1 answer Last reply
More about slow unwanted space consumption

    Sounds like your System Restore is using too much space. I would either
    minimize its usage (the default 12% of 40Gb is quite alot). As for the slow
    boot, use MSCONFIG to determine what you got on startup. Also, try using
    AdaWare (SpyBot is even better I think) to look for adware/spyware.

    "RAHUL GHOSH" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I dont really know how much this question is applied
    > to this newsgroup section..but i really need it answered...
    > I'm having Celeron 633MHz processor & Intel 810
    > motherboard..Previously I had only one 20GB SEAGATE
    > harddisk(with 3 partitions--C,D,E) & 2 CDdrives in my
    > system that ran only on win-ME..It used to boot pretty
    > fast & there was no unwanted diskspace autoconsumption on
    > any of those drives.. Recently I've installed another 40GB
    > SAMGSUNG harddisk in addition and freshly partitioned &
    > formated both the HDDs(20GB partitions-C,E,F & 40GB
    > partitions-D,G,H) and setup a dual boot system with win-ME
    > on C: & win-XP on D:..
    > But now my system is booting fairly slower than before,
    > and more significantly some amount of disk space(say
    > 16kb,40kb,76kb,136kb etc) is automatically consumed in all
    > the drives every 3 or 4 times the system boots..This
    > consumption is increasing gradually.. I've noticed that
    > space on drives of 20GB HDD is getting consumed by
    > multiples of 16kb & space on drives of 40GB HDD is getting
    > consumed by multiples of 32kb...
    > My question is:- Previously this peculiar thing was not
    > happening, then why is it happening now?? How can I stop
    > this unwanted space consumption in dual boot & make the
    > system boot faster like it did before???
    > Present file system for both win-ME & win-XP is FAT32.. My
    > present IDE conections are as below:-
    > HDD #20GB - master
    > HDD #40GB - slave
    > Both on the primary IDE channel
    >
    > CD #1 - master
    > CD #2 - slave
    > Both on the secondary IDE channel..Is there anything wrong
    > with my present IDE connection or file system ?? If yes,
    > please suggest how it should be???
    >
    > Please help..regards, Rahul..

Configuration Hard Drives Windows XP