Gigabyte P55 UD3 Rev 1.0 Won't Recognize Proper Memory Size

heffe734

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Hey folks,

I just put together a new rig today and I'm having some problems with it.

Here are my specs:

I5 750
Gigabyte P55 UD3 Rev 1.0
2 x 2gb G.Skill 1600mhz DDR Cas 7
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB
Antec 500 Earth Watts P/S
Windows XP Service pack 3

Here's my problem: The bios and Windows Xp only recognizes 2gb of RAM when i have 4gb inserted in. I've tried multiple configurations - (2nd and 4th slot is what is recommended but i've also tried 2nd and 3rd slots) - but it only keeps recognizing 2gb of RAM when i have 4gb. I have tried just using single sticks of the RAM - everything worked fine. But when i put a single stick in the 4th slot - the computer would start and turn off. Does anyone have any idea as to what my issue is? Maybe i got a defective board?

Please help...i only have one more day to return the board to Fry's if it is defective. Thanks in advance!

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
You want the sticks in the 2nd slot from the CPU, and the fourth (furthest) slot from the CPU. Make sure they are seated completely. Having one not inserted fully can cause this problem.

Have you upgraded to the latest BIOS and chosen Load Optimized Defaults?

If you can't get that to work, download memtest86+ and burn it to a CD: http://www.memtest.org/

With one stick in slot 2 and the other not installed, restart the machine booting to the CD. If that stick passes, switch out your sticks and with the other stick now in slot 2 boot to memtest86+ and test that stick.

heffe734

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I tried the 2nd and 4th slot and it won't recognize it properly. When i put just one stick in slot 2, the system does boot. It's only when i put it in the 3rd or 4th slots that it keeps resetting.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
NP. I was mostly just curious. You can try updating BIOS, and at some point you should do that anyway if you haven't already. But I think your best bet is reseating the CPU.

EDIT: Almost missed bilbat's response in there. Certainly could be a pin problem. As long as you're re-seating the CPU, may as well look them over.

heffe734

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010

heffe734

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010

tried reseating CPU. No fix. Are these bent pins the ones on the mono? If so, will o be needing a new one?

bilbat

Splendid
They're the pins shown in the first illustration, and the four-picture 'cluster' labeled Figure 1 - in the MOBO socket. If they're not broken or tangled (which is incurable), they can usually be 'teased' back into alignment - best way I know of is a steady hand, and a sewing needle mounted in a pin-vise. (A pin-vise is a little knurled cylindrical handle, with a screw-tightened chuck at one end - they're made for drilling delicate jobs with really tiny drill bits, and can be found at nearly any decent-sized hobby shop for around $5)

heffe734

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Looks like your suspicions were right - i exchanged the motherboard and CPU and just booted it up right now. It's now showing 4gb.
Thank you so much for your input and help guys!

This board is great!