New Build - Need Advice

Hi everyone,

I'm soon to be getting a new rig for my birthday coming up next month, and my friend is going to be building it for me. Here's the spec's

CPU: Intel® Core 2 Duo E7500
CPU Cooler: Standard CPU heatsink & fan
Motherboard: Asus P5QL (Intel P43 chipset)
Memory: 4.0GB Corsair DDR2 800mhz XMS2 (2x 2GB)
Hard Drives: 500GB S-ATA2 3.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA Lightscribe
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB (maybe a 4850)
Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio
PSU: 700W EZCool Tornado

He said, he can build it for me for £485. But I was wondering if it will be able to play my favourite games. All these games are online, I don't know if that makes a difference in FPS. Here they are

World of Warcraft
Counter Strike Source
Team Fortress 2
Call of Duty 4
Left 4 Dead

I'm hoping maybe playing them in High or Medium graphics settings, if its powerful enough.

How do you think those games will perform on this build?, and also do you think I could over-clock the processor and what to, I don't want it melting or anything :kaola:

Thanks so much for the advice!, I appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
51 answers Last reply
More about build advice
  1. Also will a PSU 700W work on any UK home plug socket?, I don't understand what they are used for.

2. that aint a good psu and and what case you gonna be using and i'd consider an after market cpu cooler
  3. Why isnt the PSU good? or the CPU cooler?. Which PSU would you recommend from the following?

400W
    500W Eagle
    600W Thermaltake Toughpower
    700W EZCool Tornado
    750W Thermaltake Toughpower
    1000W Coolermaster Real Power Pro Modular
  4. its not 80% certified no active pfc and of those the thermaltake 600 is a good pick
  5. I wouldn't use any of those PSU's for your build. It's very important to your systems health to pick a high quality PSU. The best PSU's are made by Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, & Seasonic. Most Antec and OCZ PSU's are pretty good, but they also have budget lines that should be avoided. Where are you purchasing the parts? If you're buying them online, could you post a link to the site so we can try to find you a decent PSU?
  6. Okay, How about the 500W? also what about how well the rig will run the games?, and the CPU over-clocking
  7. wel the cpu cooler is ok at stock speeds but ima born overclocker the e7400 can be overclocked to a healthy 3.6ghz on a good cooler but if you wanna keep it at default speed the standard cpu cooler will do
  8. How about the 500W and a Antec case which has
    1 x 140mm top fan
    1 x 120mm rear fan
    called the Antec Three Hundred
  9. here short i've found them to be very good http://www.ebuyer.com/
  10. Okay, so i looked a CPU cooling fan there.

I just want a PC that will run my games at medium to high settings smoothly and anything else that could be added can be added to my Christmas list.

So how well do you think the games will run with the following...

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB (maybe a 4850)
    PSU: 500W Eagle
    CASE: ANTEC three hundred
  11. 600W Thermaltake Toughpower is a quality PSU.
    Don't bother with an aftermarket cooler unless your going to overclock.
  12. Is the 500W okay though?
  13. You still haven't picked a quality PSU. A low-end PSU will cause all sorts of problems ranging from instability to fried hardware. You'll want to make sure any PSU you pick has active PFC (no little red voltage switch on the back), at least 80% efficiency, and a high 12v Amp rating. Anything less will likely produce an impressive indoor fireworks show.
  14. Okay so these are the only PSU's I can get as this is all they have to choose from

400W

500W Eagle

600W Thermaltake Toughpower

700W EZCool Tornado

750W Thermaltake Toughpower

1000W Coolermaster Real Power Pro Modular
  15. Of those, the 600W Thermaltake would be the best option.
  16. Okay great :)
    And how well will the system run the games?
  17. what screen you using?
  18. obsidian86 said:
    what screen you using?

Yup, how well it will play games depends on what resolution your monitor runs at.
  19. At the moment my screen runs at

1024 x 768
    60 Hertz
  20. I will be getting a Samsung monitor 22" for Christmas

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169167
  21. That's a pretty low resolution. Your system would easily play games at that resolution.

Edit: I didn't see your post about the new 22" monitor when I posted my reply. The system would still do well with the new monitor. The 4870 1GB card handles high resolutions and high settings better than the 512MB model. You might consider upgrading to the 1GB model since they aren't usually a whole lot more money.
  22. Awesome thanks alot :) so overall you think that rig will be decent for the games I play?. Ill be upgrading a little bit a xmas time, thats the great thing that my birthday is so close xD.

Maybe a CPU cooling fan to overclock to 3.5?, would that be stable?
  23. All CPU's are different, so your mileage will vary with overclocking. 3.5GHz should be pretty easy for about any modern Intel chip, though.
  24. Awesome :).
    Also Windows Vista 64bit Ultimate? Sound okay, or should I go for XP. I have no idea how i'm going to install the drivers for the CPU and stuff :S
  25. Vista Ultimate is a waste of money for most people. I would go with 64-bit Vista Home Premium. You should be able to get it with a free upgrade coupon to Windows 7. I wouldn't put an 8-year-old OS on your nice new computer.
  26. Hmmm I suppose so. Also mate, Does the Processor need to be installed with drivers or anything?, or will the Motherboard and Processor already work and then I install Windows by booting a DVD with Windows on and then just install Graphics card drivers and sound drivers etc?. Or does the Processor or Motherboard need installing before I can install Windows?, And if I do hows that work?.

Thanks for your replies mate :) I appreciate it :)
  27. does anyone know?
  28. The CPU doesn't need drivers. The only thing to worry about as far as CPU compatibility is to make sure the motherboard BIOS version supports your CPU. The E7500 is a pretty new CPU. There are a lot of different versions of the P5QL (P5QL Pro, P5QL SE, P5QL E, etc...). Are you sure you're using the standard P5QL board? The E7500 isn't even on the P5QL support list, but the E7400 is listed as compatible from BIOS version 0403. I would guess Asus just hasn't updated the support list since the E7400 and E7500 use the same stepping and are nearly identical. The E7500 just uses a half step higher multiplier for a slightly higher clock speed.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

If the Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L is available to you it supports your CPU from the first F1 BIOS.

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2995
  29. Heres the full name i get from the motherboard
    Asus P5QL (Intel P43 chipset, 4x DDR2, PCI-E 2.0)

and heres a link from weres it getting bought from http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/ShowInfo.asp?SIArray=447,&cd=Motherboard
  30. :) can anyone shed some light on the MB and CPU compatability?
  31. coltman said:
    :) can anyone shed some light on the MB and CPU compatability?

Can You explain exactly your point??!!

Best Regards.
  32. shortstuff_mt says the only thing to worry about as far as CPU compatibility is to make sure the motherboard BIOS version supports my CPU.

I was wondering if it did or didnt :S
  33. There's no way of knowing what version of the BIOS a motherboard will ship with. You never know how long the box has been sitting on the shelf. Does your friend who's putting this build together have an older Core 2 CPU he can use to flash the BIOS on your board when you get it?

Is that the only web site you can order from? Their motherboard selection is very limited.
  34. coltman said:
    shortstuff_mt says the only thing to worry about as far as CPU compatibility is to make sure the motherboard BIOS version supports my CPU.

I was wondering if it did or didnt :S

First (that's assuming you will get 1.C2D E7500 and 2.ASUS P5QL):

- The CPU chip isn't that new so basically most Boards -if not all- on the market support them AND mostly there's NO board left on market that is still using a bios version that has been released before the E7500

- You can check the site's -you're buying from- customer service and they may help (*maybe they would be able to tell if you're board has been shipped from a new stock).

Also you can try "shortstuff_mt"`s Suggestion though ;) .

Best Regards.
  35. I spoke to the customer support and they confirmed that it is compatible.
  36. coltman said:
    I spoke to the customer support and they confirmed that it is compatible.

Great News :D .

Always happy to help :) .

Regards.
  37. So this build should be good to run my games?, the CPU, Motherboard, GFX and all that jazz okay? how about the PSU thats okay, enouth power etc?, wont melt my system xD??
  38. coltman said:
    So this build should be good to run my games?, the CPU, Motherboard, GFX and all that jazz okay? how about the PSU thats okay, enouth power etc?, wont melt my system xD??

Sorry but could you please post your final component list as i find it some what difficult to track the whole rig through the thread.

Regards.
  39. CPU: Intel® Core 2 Duo E7500
    Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB
    PSU: 600W Thermaltake Toughpower
  40. coltman said:
    Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB
    PSU: 600W Thermaltake Toughpower

Assuming that you'll be playing:
    World of Warcraft
    Counter Strike Source
    Team Fortress 2
    Call of Duty 4
    Left 4 Dead

and near future versions of them then this build would easily fit them including COD WaW, MW2 and L4D 2 and even Crysis warhead on mainstream on 1280x1024 if you're getting a CRT (you didn't list your Monitor in your final list) and perhaps Crysis 2 on minimum and 1024x768 or something(perhaps too futuristic :D )

1. for your selected GFX card see this: Crysis warhead on HD4870
    although his rig isn't like yours crysis isn't that CPU dependent and i added it for reference on your GFX card potential.
    also see this: CoD4 HD4870 Benchs.

2. do you really need a lightscribe DVD drive??!

3. the memory is just perfect for such a rig and will cover your needs for a good time.

4. just a note: don't place hopes on upgrading your "CPU" for a high end one, i don't mean anything just to point that the LGA775 socket has been discontinued and it's mobos don't have that much upgrade potential however you'll always have the ability to add memory and replace your GFX card or upgrade to a good Quad core Intel CPU that will boost your performance to a good point if you ever want to upgrade in the future.

So summary you'll have a good performance for your games and future versions of them.

And i predict it to last about 2 years without any upgrades for current and upcoming games and with a mid-end upgrade its time it'll post your gaming experience more than 150%.

enjoy ;) .

Regards.
  41. Hey mate, Thanks for that :). Just a side note :) ill be getting a 22" LCD

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159417

But that wont be here until xmas, at the moment I have a smaller screen which i will be using on the new rig until then.

Thanks for the help again mate :)

Hopefully everything will be good and run fine and hopefully my parents will give me the £500 for my birthday xD.
  42. Also mate what did you mean about the DVD drive?
  43. coltman said:
    Also mate what did you mean about the DVD drive?

Sorry for being late the newsletter didn't arrive!!!

So what i meant with
    Quote:
    Coltman wrote:
    --------------------

That's what i meant as is it really worth it for a lightscribe drive that you'll never use ??! (A lightscribe Drive uses a tech that allows it to BURN Monochrome images on the face of the CD/DVD) and you'll probably NEVER use it!! (Beside if the drive isn't noticeably more expensive the "lightscribe drives' READY!" CDs are very expensive (at least where i can find them).

Regards.

NOTE: i'll comment later for the monitor.
  44. Can they still read non-lightscribe cd's, dvd's?
  45. coltman said:
    Can they still read non-lightscribe cd's, dvd's?

YES, it only adds an additional feature for supported discs but it's still a DVD +/- RW drive!!!!..

Regards.
  46. Hi guys,

I've ordered my PC and hopefully it will be here this week. I was wondering because i havent ordered a OS to come with the PC can i stick the Harddrive thats in the new PC into my Old one and install Windows Vista onto that Harddrive and then put it back into the new pc?.

I cant manage to make a bootable CD of windows Vista and i dont have any CD's left so i thought of that idea and hoping that it will work.

Any thoughts?
  47. I heard that the i3 will be released for LGA775 still i can't confirm it's going to be released in the first place. Some users here at TH confirmed it's going to be released and it'll most likely be re-branded Core 2 Duo/Quad. If that's the case then the LGA775 is once more revived. I really hope so. *Again i can't confirm it..

If you want you can cancel the order (CPU, Main-Board and RAM ONLY) and replace it with an i5 rig.. I EXTREMELY recommend you do.. If you decided to i can advise you a good £500 i5 build.
    I'm TERRIBLY sorry for inconvenience :??: .

Please reply as soon as possible. I sent you a PM.

Medo
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems