Solved

Best power supply around $100.00...

give me some opinions and options please!
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about best power supply
  1. Best answer
    WHOA! Hold on there!

Please list your pc components so we can make a valid recommendation. Without knowing your actual components it's a crapshoot!

Of the two power supplies you mentioned, the Corsair VX550 is the better choice. Corsair has a reputation for high quality power supplies, They consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are stable, reliable, and come with at least a 5 year and depending on the model sometimes a 7 year warranty.
  2. will it fit in my optiplex 960 micro tower?
  3. optiplex 960 mt
    bluray rom/rw/LG
    optiarc dvd dl burner
    hd 4670...would like to upgrade this
    8 gigs of ram
    rosewill card reader
    dlink dwa160 wireless usb
  4. give me new graphics card upgrades i could use with the better power supply

thanks a bunch
  5. The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with suffcient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made.

Now, since you have an off the shelf system it's quite possible your pc might not be able to keep up with the latest and greatest video card.

From the physical dimensions of your micro tower case it appears as if any standard atx power supply will fit. The problem with Dell and other off the shelf brands is that they do not provide very much information about the power supplies they use.
  6. I would suggest you take a look at either Corsair 650TX or Antec EarthWatts EA650. I personally would go more toward the Corsair, but that's just me. The Antec has a 6pins PCI-E connector plus a 6+2pins one; the Corsair has 2x 6+2pins.
  7. is it possible to put a 550 or 650 corsair in my tower!
    is it hard to do?

thanks for the help!
  8. my cpu is an e8400
  9. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    is it possible to put a 550 or 650 corsair in my tower!
    is it hard to do?

thanks for the help!
    Your optiplexe, is it a tower, a desktop or one of those small form factor?
  10. dell optiplex micro tower its pretty big!
  11. its the largest optiplex 960 form
  12. From Dell's website photos, the Optiplex tower seems to hold a regular PSU, but I couldn't know for sure. You might want to contact Dell and ask them directly.
  13. ok thanks zenthar
  14. going with a corsair!
    thanks for the help everyone!
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product