How to remove a repetitive Security Update for Microsoft NET

Tags:
  • Security
  • Internet Service Providers
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
February 3, 2012 3:14:18 AM

Microsoft promised a reply within 24 hours to a customer's request for assistance, and yet, it is now 3 weeks since I have been left literally "holding the bag" with the Security Update for Microsoft NET. Framework SP1 (KB2657424) which continues to re-download itself several times a day whether I'm online... or offline.

I sent Microsoft a series of pertinent photo-capture images related to the unusual behaviour of this one particular "Update," and how it has caused a series of disruptions to the OS, including disabling the antivirus program which I had to un-install, re-download and re-install again, a cumbersome process with a dial-up ISP.

Strangely enough, this particular "Update" is featured as "downloaded" and "installed" in the Add/Remove programs, and yet the yellow "Update Icon" continually appears every day on the taskbar as "Updates are ready for your computer - Click here to install these updates," and when shutting down the PC, another message continually re-appears "Click here to shut down without installing updates."

As mentioned at the start of this message, whether I'm online, and incredibly enough, even offline, the "Update" is activated by some remote source, and tries to re-install itself, again and again several times a day, with no end in sight.

These are the numbers of the so-called "security update:"
NDP35SP1-KB2657424-x86.exe_
NDP35SP1-KB2657424-x86.exeQ

I ran the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program and the TDSSKiller Kaspersky application, but neither seemed to identify any abnormality. I also scanned the PC with HijackThis.

Can someone please tell me how to remove this annoyance from the OS?

Thank you,

Webgirl

More about : remove repetitive security update microsoft net

a b 8 Security
February 3, 2012 6:34:50 PM

I am repairing a friends PC that might be experiencing the same thing. If I fix it I will post the fix.
Score
February 4, 2012 7:56:31 AM

Thank you for replying.

I have noticed that every time this "Update" tries to re-install itself, it actually freezes whatever windows may be open at the time, or, for that matter, anything you might be working on at the moment.

It's unfortunate that Microsoft's support group have not helped us out with this problem.

Hope the solution can be found.

Webgirl
Score
Related resources
a b 8 Security
February 5, 2012 1:22:43 AM

I am sorry, the one that was hanging up my friends PC was KB2656353.
Score
February 5, 2012 11:21:54 PM

I think maybe I might have narrowed down the problem to the "Windows Security Alerts" settings situated in the Microsoft Security Centre located in the Control Panel (of course I could be wrong, but...)

The yellow icon is repetitively activated for this Security Update for Microsoft NET. Framework SP1 (KB2657424) with the first 3 settings.
1. Automatic (recommended)
2. Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them
3. Notify me but don't automatically download or install them

The 4th setting the icon becomes red "Your Computer may be at risk...."
4. Turn off Automatic Updates

Can somebody please figure out how to modify the "Automatic" updating system, in the event that there is some sort of command or switch that needs to be modified. I'm assuming that once this is found, then it will recognize the repetitive "update" as something to be terminated.

Webgirl
Score

Best solution

February 14, 2012 1:06:33 AM

This is just an update for anyone interested in how this problem can be considered "resolved," or at least someone from Microsoft thinks so after a series of suggestions were followed.

I found the answer by clicking on this link:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...

That's it for now folks.
Hope this link will help others with a similar problem.

Webgirl

a b 8 Security
February 28, 2012 11:21:25 AM

Best answer selected by aford10.
Score
a b 8 Security
February 28, 2012 11:21:51 AM

This topic has been closed by Aford10
Score
!