TS2 - Several problems

I have been playing TS2 since it came out, have University, and have had no
problems until recently. I downloaded a few hacks (easy breakup, college
clock, ltwvariety & no college obsession). Here are all the noticeable
issues:

Issue #1: When my Sims go to work, they don't change into work
clothes..when I made them dress for work, their work clothes was their
everyday clothes.
Issue #2: Out of my Sims that went to college (and this is what burns me
because I had 50 of them that I spent days getting through college) 1/2 of
them do not show graduating. All of them did, but the 1/2 do not have
diplomas and their parents to not get the platinum lifetime want for
graduating 3 kids, etc.
Issue #3: When my Sims go to work, school, etc, the icon is blank.
Issue #4: It takes forever for my elders to die and when they do, the reaper
does not show up. The smoke, the sicle and I can hear him, but no reaper.

I downloaded the hacks after all the Sims went to college, played the game
once and noticed these problems. I deleted the hacks from the game, but I
still have these problems. Will I have to uninstall both packs and start
again or will I just have to live with the issues? I can deal with most of
them except for the missing diplomas despite all my hard work.

I hope this can be salvaged. Thanks for any help.

Emily
18 answers Last reply
More about problems

    Given that most of those sound like Pescado's fixes, it'd be better to
    go to www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf to ask for help.

    I've just noticed that his paybillsatbox hack has suddenly stopped
    working for me, with sims once again trekking through the ice and snow
    to put bills on a coffee table. And just when I'd removed all the
    tables from near the box! Argh!

    ~*~
    vecki

    "simplyredhead" <simplyredhead@insightbb.com> wrote in message
    > I have been playing TS2 since it came out, have University, and have had
    no
    > problems until recently. I downloaded a few hacks (easy breakup, college
    > clock, ltwvariety & no college obsession). Here are all the noticeable
    > issues:
    >
    > Issue #1: When my Sims go to work, they don't change into work
    > clothes..when I made them dress for work, their work clothes was their
    > everyday clothes.
    > Issue #2: Out of my Sims that went to college (and this is what burns me
    > because I had 50 of them that I spent days getting through college) 1/2 of
    > them do not show graduating. All of them did, but the 1/2 do not have
    > diplomas and their parents to not get the platinum lifetime want for
    > graduating 3 kids, etc.
    > Issue #3: When my Sims go to work, school, etc, the icon is blank.
    > Issue #4: It takes forever for my elders to die and when they do, the
    reaper
    > does not show up. The smoke, the sicle and I can hear him, but no reaper.

    I'm not 100% sure this is the same as your problem (or how to fix it), but I
    suspect it could be and probably worth trying: See

    http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=74963

    or

    http://www.sims2techguide.net/article.php?p=29

    Basically, a file gets corrupted on the hard drive. The objects.package,
    which has the info for the icons and maybe the work clothes. It gets
    corrupted for an unknown reason, maybe deaths, maybe playing with the radio
    controller car (which is actually an NPC), maybe both (since the Grim Reaper
    is the same sort of NPC as the radio controlled car).

    So try copying the objects.package file from the Uni cd in the
    compressed.zip over the one in the University directory on the hard drive.
    (the 2nd link explains how in detail)

    "vecki" <vecsta02@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Given that most of those sound like Pescado's fixes, it'd be better to
    >go to www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf to ask for help.
    >
    >I've just noticed that his paybillsatbox hack has suddenly stopped
    >working for me, with sims once again trekking through the ice and snow
    >to put bills on a coffee table. And just when I'd removed all the
    >tables from near the box! Argh!

    No need to use such a hack, really - when you direct a sim to Bring In the
    Mail, cancel the interaction just after he picks it up. He will immediately
    put the mail down on the sidewalk, and you can pay the bills from there.

    I'm not sure about the rest but the LTWVariety hack, I think, can cause
    problems in actually having the sim go platinum when the want is fulfilled.
    To be honest, you'd be better asking this question on Various Simmers where
    you got the hacks - they'll be able to advise you about
    compatibility/stability issues far better than most people here.

    Best wishes
    maxon

    "simplyredhead" <simplyredhead@insightbb.com> wrote in message
    > I have been playing TS2 since it came out, have University, and have had
    no
    > problems until recently. I downloaded a few hacks (easy breakup, college
    > clock, ltwvariety & no college obsession). Here are all the noticeable
    > issues:
    >
    > Issue #1: When my Sims go to work, they don't change into work
    > clothes..when I made them dress for work, their work clothes was their
    > everyday clothes.
    > Issue #2: Out of my Sims that went to college (and this is what burns me
    > because I had 50 of them that I spent days getting through college) 1/2 of
    > them do not show graduating. All of them did, but the 1/2 do not have
    > diplomas and their parents to not get the platinum lifetime want for
    > graduating 3 kids, etc.
    > Issue #3: When my Sims go to work, school, etc, the icon is blank.
    > Issue #4: It takes forever for my elders to die and when they do, the
    reaper
    > does not show up. The smoke, the sicle and I can hear him, but no reaper.
    >
    > I downloaded the hacks after all the Sims went to college, played the game
    > once and noticed these problems. I deleted the hacks from the game, but I
    > still have these problems. Will I have to uninstall both packs and start
    > again or will I just have to live with the issues? I can deal with most of
    > them except for the missing diplomas despite all my hard work.
    >
    > I hope this can be salvaged. Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Emily

    Oh yes, I think you might be right - perhaps it'd be better to check both
    sites. I thought those were TwoJeffs hacks but maybe not. In some ways,
    it's a bit annoying to have JMP bugger off to his own site just when we'd
    got used to him where he was (after having left MTS2), though I suppose I
    can understand why he might have wanted to.

    Best wishes
    maxon

    Jeremy Reaban wrote:
    > "simplyredhead" <simplyredhead@insightbb.com> wrote in message
    > > I have been playing TS2 since it came out, have University, and have had
    > no
    > > problems until recently. I downloaded a few hacks (easy breakup, college
    > > clock, ltwvariety & no college obsession). Here are all the noticeable
    > > issues:
    > >
    > > Issue #1: When my Sims go to work, they don't change into work
    > > clothes..when I made them dress for work, their work clothes was their
    > > everyday clothes.
    > > Issue #2: Out of my Sims that went to college (and this is what burns me
    > > because I had 50 of them that I spent days getting through college) 1/2 of
    > > them do not show graduating. All of them did, but the 1/2 do not have
    > > diplomas and their parents to not get the platinum lifetime want for
    > > graduating 3 kids, etc.
    > > Issue #3: When my Sims go to work, school, etc, the icon is blank.
    > > Issue #4: It takes forever for my elders to die and when they do, the
    > reaper
    > > does not show up. The smoke, the sicle and I can hear him, but no reaper.
    >

    > I'm not 100% sure this is the same as your problem (or how to fix it), but I
    > suspect it could be and probably worth trying: See
    >
    > http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=74963
    >
    > or
    >
    > http://www.sims2techguide.net/article.php?p=29
    >
    > Basically, a file gets corrupted on the hard drive. The objects.package,
    > which has the info for the icons and maybe the work clothes. It gets
    > corrupted for an unknown reason, maybe deaths, maybe playing with the radio
    > controller car (which is actually an NPC), maybe both (since the Grim Reaper
    > is the same sort of NPC as the radio controlled car).

    I've found that my objects file gets corrupted each time I save while
    one of my sims is playing with the remote controlled car. This isn't
    to suggest that this is the only reason why it happens, but it has been
    a 100% correlation in my game.

    You know what? I recently began having problems with my game. I was
    playing a university lot. When all of a sudden the icons started going
    blank and Sims stopped changing into the proper "work clothes" (Cap and
    Gown, SS Blazer, and so on).

    It just so happens that one of the guys brought home a rc car! They would
    not leave it alone. The lot finally crashed. I couldn't get passed the
    splash screen. I moved the guys out of the Greek House I had built. I
    didn't want to bull doze it so I took a chance and tried to enter in build
    mode. I was able to load, and I deleted a bunch of stuff in case it was
    what caused the problem.... including the damn car! And now I can get back
    in the lot no problem and even moved in a Sorority.

    But I still have the problems with the career icons and some others not
    working!

    This is the second time I have had a problem with the car. The other time,
    the sound would not stop. Even when I deleted the car!

    BD

    "Jeremy Reaban" <jer@connectria.com> wrote in message

    > "simplyredhead" <simplyredhead@insightbb.com> wrote in message
    >> I have been playing TS2 since it came out, have University, and have had
    > no
    >> problems until recently. I downloaded a few hacks (easy breakup, college
    >> clock, ltwvariety & no college obsession). Here are all the noticeable
    >> issues:
    >>
    >> Issue #1: When my Sims go to work, they don't change into work
    >> clothes..when I made them dress for work, their work clothes was their
    >> everyday clothes.
    >> Issue #2: Out of my Sims that went to college (and this is what burns me
    >> because I had 50 of them that I spent days getting through college) 1/2
    >> of
    >> them do not show graduating. All of them did, but the 1/2 do not have
    >> diplomas and their parents to not get the platinum lifetime want for
    >> graduating 3 kids, etc.
    >> Issue #3: When my Sims go to work, school, etc, the icon is blank.
    >> Issue #4: It takes forever for my elders to die and when they do, the
    > reaper
    >> does not show up. The smoke, the sicle and I can hear him, but no reaper.
    >

    > I'm not 100% sure this is the same as your problem (or how to fix it), but
    > suspect it could be and probably worth trying: See
    >
    > http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=74963
    >
    > or
    >
    > http://www.sims2techguide.net/article.php?p=29
    >
    > Basically, a file gets corrupted on the hard drive. The objects.package,
    > which has the info for the icons and maybe the work clothes. It gets
    > corrupted for an unknown reason, maybe deaths, maybe playing with the
    > radio
    > controller car (which is actually an NPC), maybe both (since the Grim
    > Reaper
    > is the same sort of NPC as the radio controlled car).
    >
    > So try copying the objects.package file from the Uni cd in the
    > compressed.zip over the one in the University directory on the hard drive.
    > (the 2nd link explains how in detail)

    Well, yessssssssssss, and I have done that before, but the wonderful
    thing about that hack is that it (usually) makes it a one-step process.
    Tell them to get mail, they'll go, pick up the mail, then smoothly
    turn and pay the bills straight away.

    Oh well, Nightlife coming soon so all hacks must be stowed away until
    bugs and fixes are revealed.

    ~*~
    vecki

    It worked!!!

    Thanks for the info!!

    BD

    "Jeremy Reaban" <jer@connectria.com> wrote in message

    > "simplyredhead" <simplyredhead@insightbb.com> wrote in message
    >> I have been playing TS2 since it came out, have University, and have had
    > no
    >> problems until recently. I downloaded a few hacks (easy breakup, college
    >> clock, ltwvariety & no college obsession). Here are all the noticeable
    >> issues:
    >>
    >> Issue #1: When my Sims go to work, they don't change into work
    >> clothes..when I made them dress for work, their work clothes was their
    >> everyday clothes.
    >> Issue #2: Out of my Sims that went to college (and this is what burns me
    >> because I had 50 of them that I spent days getting through college) 1/2
    >> of
    >> them do not show graduating. All of them did, but the 1/2 do not have
    >> diplomas and their parents to not get the platinum lifetime want for
    >> graduating 3 kids, etc.
    >> Issue #3: When my Sims go to work, school, etc, the icon is blank.
    >> Issue #4: It takes forever for my elders to die and when they do, the
    > reaper
    >> does not show up. The smoke, the sicle and I can hear him, but no reaper.
    >

    > I'm not 100% sure this is the same as your problem (or how to fix it), but
    > suspect it could be and probably worth trying: See
    >
    > http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=74963
    >
    > or
    >
    > http://www.sims2techguide.net/article.php?p=29
    >
    > Basically, a file gets corrupted on the hard drive. The objects.package,
    > which has the info for the icons and maybe the work clothes. It gets
    > corrupted for an unknown reason, maybe deaths, maybe playing with the
    > radio
    > controller car (which is actually an NPC), maybe both (since the Grim
    > Reaper
    > is the same sort of NPC as the radio controlled car).
    >
    > So try copying the objects.package file from the Uni cd in the
    > compressed.zip over the one in the University directory on the hard drive.
    > (the 2nd link explains how in detail)

    >> Basically, a file gets corrupted on the hard drive. The
    >> objects.package, which has the info for the icons and maybe the work
    >> clothes. It gets corrupted for an unknown reason, maybe deaths,
    >> maybe playing with the radio controller car (which is actually an
    >> NPC), maybe both (since the Grim Reaper is the same sort of NPC as
    >> the radio controlled car).
    >
    > I've found that my objects file gets corrupted each time I save while
    > one of my sims is playing with the remote controlled car. This isn't
    > to suggest that this is the only reason why it happens, but it has
    > been a 100% correlation in my game.

    I've had nothing but trouble with that RC car, too. I've stopped using it
    entirely in any of my houses.

    Jeanie

    Yes, it's a known bug generator.

    > >> Basically, a file gets corrupted on the hard drive. The
    > >> objects.package, which has the info for the icons and maybe the work
    > >> clothes. It gets corrupted for an unknown reason, maybe deaths,
    > >> maybe playing with the radio controller car (which is actually an
    > >> NPC), maybe both (since the Grim Reaper is the same sort of NPC as
    > >> the radio controlled car).
    > >
    > > I've found that my objects file gets corrupted each time I save while
    > > one of my sims is playing with the remote controlled car. This isn't
    > > to suggest that this is the only reason why it happens, but it has
    > > been a 100% correlation in my game.

    > I've had nothing but trouble with that RC car, too. I've stopped using it
    > entirely in any of my houses.
    >
    > Jeanie

    "Jeremy Reaban" <jer@connectria.com> wrote in message

    > http://www.sims2techguide.net/article.php?p=29
    >
    > Basically, a file gets corrupted on the hard drive. The objects.package,
    > which has the info for the icons and maybe the work clothes. It gets
    > corrupted for an unknown reason, maybe deaths, maybe playing with the
    > radio
    > controller car (which is actually an NPC), maybe both (since the Grim
    > Reaper
    > is the same sort of NPC as the radio controlled car).
    >
    > So try copying the objects.package file from the Uni cd in the
    > compressed.zip over the one in the University directory on the hard drive.
    > (the 2nd link explains how in detail)

    Ah! You have got me thinking. I replaced my object package not so long ago,
    and made it 'read only' like someone suggested. It was after this I lost the
    ability to have more than two guests to a party and only see my character
    Sims in Community lots (apart from shop assistants.)

    No, I have stopped thinking. The two couldn;t be related, not really.
    Whatever is causing the guest/NPC glitch it is a right royal pain in the
    butt.
    My snapshot pics have gone fuzzy as well.

    I have checked everything for changes: directX, video setting, memory.. I
    am Baffled.
    Oh pleeeeze not the graphic board. Pleeeeze. 8(

    My problems were caused by that evil RC car. I am wondering if I put the
    hacks in that I originally thought was the problem if it will happen again??
    My opinion is that the hacks I usually use never cause problems so if I feel
    adventurous I should just give it a go. Could it have been the combination
    of using the RC car and downloading the hacks or just the RC car? Any
    thoughts??

    Emily

    I was experiencing similar problems. Once I copied that objects package file
    which the car had corrupted, it stopped. I think it is only that RC car
    that was causing the problems and I will never allow it on a lot again!!

    BD

    > My problems were caused by that evil RC car. I am wondering if I put the
    > hacks in that I originally thought was the problem if it will happen
    > again??
    > My opinion is that the hacks I usually use never cause problems so if I
    > feel
    > adventurous I should just give it a go. Could it have been the combination
    > of using the RC car and downloading the hacks or just the RC car? Any
    > thoughts??
    >
    > Emily

    "simplyredhead" <simplyredhead@insightbb.com> wrote in message
    > My problems were caused by that evil RC car. I am wondering if I put the
    > hacks in that I originally thought was the problem if it will happen
    > again??
    > My opinion is that the hacks I usually use never cause problems so if I
    > feel
    > adventurous I should just give it a go. Could it have been the combination
    > of using the RC car and downloading the hacks or just the RC car? Any
    > thoughts??

    I think it's just the RC car.

    The game has 2 sorts of NPCs - ones like the maid and the nannies that are
    specific to a neighborhood. Then it has global ones for the entire game -
    the Grim Reaper and the RC Car. For some reason, it treats the latter type
    of NPCs as normal NPCs, and updates the info about them in their package
    file with information with relationships and such. Which causes them to get
    corrupted.

    You have been too helpful. Thanks! I was so depressed thinking that I would
    lose all 80 thousand Sims if I had to reinstall the game.

    Emily

    > I was so depressed thinking that I would
    > lose all 80 thousand Sims if I had to reinstall the game.

    80 thousand sims? What computer do you have? Big Blue?

    --
    Mike
    If the pen is mightier than the sword, and a picture is worth a

    I wish! Sometimes I think I need to get a life but then I realize being
    "God" somewhere isn't half bad. 80 thousand was slight exaggeration - 122
    but when you have to have a notebook to remember what the heck is going on
    122 seems like thousands.

    Emily

    "Mike Andrade" <ma@box.invalid> wrote in message
    > "simplyredhead" <simplyredhead@insightbb.com> wrote in
    >
    > > I was so depressed thinking that I would
    > > lose all 80 thousand Sims if I had to reinstall the game.
    > >
    > 80 thousand sims? What computer do you have? Big Blue?
    >
    > --
    > Mike
    > If the pen is mightier than the sword, and a picture is worth a
    > thousand words,
    > how dangerous is a fax?

Sims College Video Games