podlod

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Hi, I have at the moment a NVIDIA GEFORCE 7800 gt graphics card, and am about to re-new with a ATI RADEON HD 4870 2 gig vapor-X card, how much better graphics wise is the improvement and is this card conversant with ASUS EK A8N-SLI board? thank you, PODLOD :(

Solution
Ah ok.

What you wanna do is use Catalyst Control Centre (CCC, red icon at the bottom right of your screen).

From there, select the graphics menu and select the Overdrive option. After you click on the key icon to unlock it, you are able to set the fan speed manually.

It should be fine as it is, but sometimes you are better off setting the fan to 40-50% constantly. Try stuff out and keep an eye on your temps.

podlod

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Don't upgrade to that card, it will not be worth the money.

The new cards are almost upon us and will be greatly improved on the 4870 which was greatly improved on the card you have now.

So what your saying is that the new card is no more powerful than my existing?

podlod

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009

Hi again, let me explain my prob quickly, I play sometimes the game Empire Total war, and Oblivion, and after a couple of hours, the game slows up and the characters voices break up, also when there is a lot of graphics its is hard to play.
I have a Windows XP home edition, 2.10 gig AMD ATHLON 64 x 2 dual core proc 3800= 2 cpu`s, ASUST EK board A8N-SLI, 3072 meg memory ram with 517 gig free space. plus my card. The pc engineer seems to think that the new card will solve the prob, what do you think? thanks.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

Your CPU is pretty weak for high-end gaming (and probably the reason of the slow gameplay), so while you will definitely see improvements with a 4870 or 5870, you won't be able to utilize their power to the fullest.

First off, check the CPU and GPU temperatures under load, slowdowns after a period of gameplay can often indicate overheating issues. Speedfan or Realtemp are good for the CPU and GPU-Z or Rivatuner for the graphics card, they can all be left monitoring the temperatures while you play.
For the upgrade I'd say either the GTS250 or HD4850 class of card would be more than enough, a more powerful card would be held back by the 'slow' CPU.
As a matter of interest I've just put a cheap 8800GT 512Mb card in my rig to replace the 256Mb 7800GTX (it's a placeholder until I build new next year:)) and it's running even quite hard games like Dead Space at 1920x1200 smoothly.
Here is a list showing where the cards fall relative to one another:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/best-graphics-card,review-31635-6.html

podlod

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Hi again, I have downloaded something called speedfan that will regulate the speed of my card, but the only thing is, it is rather confusing, what is the best speed for the fan to have at to ensure the best temp?

jennyh

Splendid
Download EVGA precision and see if that lets you change the fan speed on your 7800 with one easy bar.

The best fan speed is one that keeps the card from getting too hot while also not making too much noise. If noise isn't an issue then put the fan up high. I dont know how hot the 7800gtx can handle but generally anything over 100C should be avoided.

jennyh

Splendid
Ah ok.

What you wanna do is use Catalyst Control Centre (CCC, red icon at the bottom right of your screen).

From there, select the graphics menu and select the Overdrive option. After you click on the key icon to unlock it, you are able to set the fan speed manually.

It should be fine as it is, but sometimes you are better off setting the fan to 40-50% constantly. Try stuff out and keep an eye on your temps.

Solution

podlod

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Hi Jenny, thanks for the info, so i have now learned something new, but will it conflict in any way with realtemp which i have downloaded which constantly stays at 45deg when playing my game?