Hard Disk Won't Initialize

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Disk Management
  • Computer
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 17, 2011 10:48:09 PM

Ok so I got this new hard drive and I have it plugged into my computer, I go to computer management, Disk Management, and it show there up working properly however its not Initialized. I right click it, I click Initialize, and it gives me an error saying Incorrect Function.

So I can't turn it on, I can't format, I can't do anything with this. Does this mean the Hard Drive is defective?

More about : hard disk initialize

a c 110 G Storage
June 18, 2011 1:16:27 AM

have you created a partition and format it?
m
l
June 18, 2011 2:08:03 AM

Ok in order to format I have to initialize the disk, then it will let me format or partition it or whatever. So how do I fix this?

Every time I try to Initialize the disk I get Incorrect Function error. Why? What does this mean? How do I fix it and turn it on so I can format it.

All this is being done in Disk Management under Computer Management.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
June 18, 2011 2:25:37 AM

What Disk? make and model... what is your motherboard?
m
l
June 18, 2011 2:51:52 AM

ASUS Sabertooth X58.
Western Digital Caviar Black 6.0Gb/s Sata 3 1.0TB
m
l
a b G Storage
June 18, 2011 4:57:38 PM

Have you tryed swapping the SATA cable from the black port to the gray port?
m
l
June 18, 2011 5:26:40 PM

It's not on the black port, its on the gray port. Black ports = Sata 2, Gray or WHITE = Sata 3... I am using a SATA 3 HDD... The fact is... IT IS CONNECTED... The computer detects it, it just won't let me do anything with it. WHY? What does Incorrect Function Error mean? Why am I having to start up the HDD I thought it does this automatically?
m
l
June 18, 2011 5:28:08 PM

In the meantime while I wait for someone who knows whats going on to answer I will try to put the HDD on a SATA 2 port and slow the HDD hoping it will let me format it there, then move it over to the SATA 3 port finally allowing me to do what I want.... I hope... I am now going to try that.
m
l
June 18, 2011 6:44:57 PM

I switched it to a SATA 2 port ( Yes I used the Jumper Pin to lower its speed to 3.0Gb/s so it would work on a SATA 2 port ) No luck. I keep getting an error during post saying...

Master Hard Disk Failure.

With each attempt to restart the PC it gives me a number stating the numbered attempet.

4th Master Hard Disk Failure.
5th Master Hard Disk Failure.
etc.

I am now assuming that the disk is faulty and I am going to RMA it asap. Thanks for everyone's help. If you have anything more to say please do so as any knowledge I may gain will be a welcome addition to this disaster.
m
l
June 18, 2011 7:25:27 PM

Before you RMA it, you should use the manufacturer's diagnostic tools to check that the drive is OK.

I'm saying this because I've seen a number of similar messages in other forums. It appears that this is a common problem with some versions of Windows, so RMA'ing the drive may get you nowhere. Suggested solutions include downloading the latest drivers for the drive, going straight to formatting (after all the drive should already be initialized), etc.
m
l
June 19, 2011 3:07:23 PM

I tried using the diagnostic tool from the manufacturer a long time ago, problem with that is it doesn't pick up the drive unless it is initialized which I can't do because of whatever reason. So I have to RMA and get a replacement.
m
l
June 19, 2011 5:15:12 PM

You will need to use the tools booted from a CD, not from Windows. The Ultimate Boot CD is very useful for this.
m
l
June 20, 2011 12:26:44 PM

Sorry I have no idea what you are talking about and since you didn't explain in detail I am left with just buying a new hard drive that actually works.
m
l
June 20, 2011 7:43:53 PM

Sorry, I should have explained in more detail. Since you are unable to access the disk properly from Windows, running diagnostic tools from Windows may not work either. Instead, you need to run the tools from a bootable CD - i.e. one that doesn't rely on the installed version of Windows. There is a CD called the Ultimate Boot CD which has all of the manufacturer's diagnostic tools in the one place. They will give you the RMA code, if indeed your drive is dead, allowing you to return it to the manufacturer. If, on the other hand, it is your version of Windows at fault, and the drive is OK, then returning the drive to the manufacturer will not get you any further forward...

The Ultimate Boot CD can be found at:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

The other advantage of using this CD is that it also includes utilities for initialising drives and formatting drives.
m
l
June 22, 2011 4:07:21 PM

Drive was dead... So yeah RMA.
m
l
April 18, 2012 3:28:47 PM

Oliumen said:
Ok so I got this new hard drive and I have it plugged into my computer, I go to computer management, Disk Management, and it show there up working properly however its not Initialized. I right click it, I click Initialize, and it gives me an error saying Incorrect Function.

So I can't turn it on, I can't format, I can't do anything with this. Does this mean the Hard Drive is defective?

m
l
June 11, 2012 9:40:36 PM

Oliumen said:

This is very very easy to do! You need to first click start> right click on the computer> than left click on manage>left click on disk management> a screen will pop up telling you you need to initialze the disk with a choice of MBR or GPT(GUID) choose MBR- click ok> The disk will show in the disk management you can now set it up with NTFS if you like and partition it.

Hope this helps
Scott
m
l
June 18, 2012 1:52:23 PM

hrdplay said:
This is very very easy to do! You need to first click start> right click on the computer> than left click on manage>left click on disk management> a screen will pop up telling you you need to initialze the disk with a choice of MBR or GPT(GUID) choose MBR- click ok> The disk will show in the disk management you can now set it up with NTFS if you like and partition it.

Hope this helps
Scott

Hey, i tried what you just said but apparently, it keeps saying "Incorrect Function" what's that suppose to mean?
m
l
December 2, 2012 8:24:53 PM

you have to set it to guide it is a bit odd but it works
m
l
!