Sign in with
Your question

My first Attempt at watercooling

Last response: in Overclocking
November 1, 2011 5:10:32 PM

So I just finalized my components for a new build, and now on to a completely unknown territory. I honestly know I don't NEED water cooling, but I just got a new job, and I have wanted to build one for years. So I thought now that I am out of college, my college PC is getting run down, and its time to move on.
Current parts ideas:

Quote:
Mobo1: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU1: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

VC:EVGA 03G-P3-1591-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) Hydro Copper 2 3072MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

I chose the video card for the extra open bay and reducing the likely hood i break a card trying to put a block on it.

PSU: I was looking at ENERMAX Platimax EPM1200EWT 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Modular Power Supply mainly for a platinum rated PSU. I don't know if that is to much or not enough power for a pump, like I said, no bread crumbs.

Case: I am guessing is the last choice, once I know what kind of room i need for all my compnents, again, don't have a good judge for how much room this stuff will take up.

Now for the part that I am so lost on I wish I had put down bread crumbs.
Water Cooling:

Radiator: I was looking at the Swiftech MCR320, it seemed really good for the price. It might be a little over kill, but in the future I may drop a second card in and i didn't know if i went smaller if it would have to replace it when i put more heat in the loop.

CPU Block:Swiftech APOGEE-XT Extreme Performance CPU Waterblock

Pump/rez: Here i am totally lost, I get the whole gpm/watt idea but a lot of the charts are a little confusing and it seems like you have to get a pump and a rez that fit together. I did see this on Frozen CPU that looked really good, FrozenQ Liquid Fusion Dual Bay Reservoir w/ Swiftech MCP35x Series Pump Installed. The pumped seemed to be a good choice, but I don't know if price wise this is worth it in terms of hardware.

Like I said, its my first time and I am pretty lost. I tried to read all the threads, but it started to run together. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : attempt watercooling

a c 325 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 5:20:13 PM

You can get a pump/reservoir combo, or keep them separate. You don't have to get a res that fits a pump, it's nice though, when you don't have a lot of space. You actually don't need a reservoir at all, but it makes it much simpler to fill and prime your loop.

The MCR320's are good- I have 2 of them. They are great for the price, but there are better performing rads out there. It's just a very good budget buy.

A single MCR320 would be fine for the loop you are building right now, but if you add another card, you're going to need more rad space...at least a 1x120mm, 1x140mm or even a 2x120. Those MCR320's are only good for about 500-525 watts of dissipation, and a single 580 pushes around ~244watts at 100% load, your i7 about 95watts at 100% (these are based only on stock clock speeds).

MCP35x is a fantastic pump. I recommend it over any other pump under $150 right now, even the D5/MCP655. It pushes about as much flow and has more head pressure in a much smaller footprint. Here's a deal: You buy the MCP35x and I'll trade you (straight up) my D5 vario. :D 
m
l
November 1, 2011 7:35:01 PM

Ok, so I think I am going to go with the MCR320 for my cooler and add deal with it later, since it will be a long ways down the line to add another card. And the MCP35x has gotten a lot of good press in other places, so that sounds like what I am going to do. For rez, I was looking at getting something absurd, but i think i am going to go with a standard 5.25 bay rez. So I am down to 1 question and that is case. I don't know what I should do case wise. Will any case work, are there some people have used that they prefer?
m
l
Related resources
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 7:45:22 PM

Are you getting a top/res for the MCP35x or going with a bay res, bay pump/res combo...or cylinder res? (decisions, decisions, decisions...)

There are a lot of people that use the 800D and the HAF series just to name a couple. Antec cases typically have room (mid or full tower models), but really just depends on how much gear you are putting in there, price and how many have space for rads by default. Most cases still require some modding, depending on how all this planning works out.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
November 2, 2011 5:41:16 AM

T-Virus res, thats all I'm sayin hehe
Are you looking for full towers or mid tower? Lights,no lights 'hardcore' or understated?
Budget for the case,
Throw us a pointer or two :-)
Moto
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 2, 2011 7:16:43 AM

Id say nix the apogee xt, it was great in its day, but its been one upped several times. XSPC has a new cpu cooler that kicks it where it hurts.

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2011/09/26/i7-2600k-cpu-xsp...

$59.95 at jab-tech wich is where I buy most of my water cooling stuff, them or svc. frozencpu seems a bit pricey compared to others. I use the XSPC X2O resivoir/750 pump combo, works fine and couldn't be simpler to setup.

If you want a good summary of reviews, check out www.skinneelabs.com

p.s. Don't use dyes, if you want color, use uv reactive tubing.
m
l
November 2, 2011 3:16:07 PM

noob2222 said:
Id say nix the apogee xt, it was great in its day, but its been one upped several times. XSPC has a new cpu cooler that kicks it where it hurts.

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2011/09/26/i7-2600k-cpu-xsp...

$59.95 at jab-tech wich is where I buy most of my water cooling stuff, them or svc. frozencpu seems a bit pricey compared to others. I use the XSPC X2O resivoir/750 pump combo, works fine and couldn't be simpler to setup.

If you want a good summary of reviews, check out www.skinneelabs.com

p.s. Don't use dyes, if you want color, use uv reactive tubing.

1+ on the Raystorm, thats what I'm using.
m
l
November 3, 2011 1:11:42 AM

I will look at the CPU block. With the color scheme I was looking at, with the red/black ROG mobo, I was thinking the all matte black 800D. Its a little on the pricey side, but the layout is amazing, the window is perfect, if not a little to low, and the hot swap bays in the front are awsome. I'm going to get it running, and do lighting later, but I have some great ideas. And ya, I decided on the T-virus rez because, honestly, T-Virus.
m
l
November 3, 2011 1:46:23 AM

I just realized that 800D's suck at Lan Parties. Especially if you have a 500$ SSD in the hot swap bay. But then again, you'd probably get a RevoDrive by then.

You can switch out the LED's easily (with a bit of modding knowledge) with red ones to fit with your color scheme by the way.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
November 3, 2011 1:54:10 AM

T-Virus res,
My work here is done.
:-)
Moto
m
l
November 3, 2011 2:23:35 AM

Hmm. FrozenQ Custom PC Reservoirs... Interesting. Really like the work he did with the Fusion Reservoir. (T-Virus).
Just maybe I'll have to order a custom Reservoir one day...
m
l
November 3, 2011 3:23:15 AM

Just ordered my parts, when its all gussied up, I'm going to post picks back here. I am pretty excited for my new build.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
November 3, 2011 3:31:07 AM

Don't forget pics in the Wc gallery as well as a link for build log (if you do a log that is :-)
Moto
m
l
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 3, 2011 12:49:05 PM

^ I second that. Gallery and build log (at the very least, gallery.)
m
l
November 3, 2011 1:53:53 PM

Could you post a totally different thread and the gallery in the sticky? P:

Want to know!
m
l
!