Aug 27, 2009
Hi there

I have the following set up:

Core i7 920
1200W Gigabyte Odin PSU
6 GIG Patriot Viper RAM
Gigabyte EX58-EXTREME MOBO
Nvidia 975 GPU

I am currently running windows 7 RC build 7100. The system has been running fine for the past 2 months but recently has been switching off randomly for the past two weeks. Never happened when I had Vista x64 installed. It's like someone just pulls the plug. Sometimes reboot is instant as well other times i have to wait 5 mins before computer will allow you to restart it. I have checked the heating and everything reports normal. When i say normal I mean i have custom fans in place which are all spinning normally. All software reports that temps are fine as well as the bios. I have also checked all the power connections and everything is sitting firm. One thing I also need to try is to swop the reset switch to the power switch to determine if it's a faulty switch. Has anyone experienced something similar or perhaps have a suggestion. Sometimes i can play graphic intensive games for a day and it doesn't switch off, other times i play the same games for 10 minuutes and the system goes down. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated because it's irritating as hell.

szymek

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
It might be foulty MB, very probable to be MB issue, however PSU is next suspect. you'd have to switch with friends with their psus and mobos if on x58. Good luck!

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
What are the tempatures your reporting? This has every symptom of a CPU overheating (big clue: have to wait 5 minutes for it to come back on). You may want to try reseating your cpu heat sink and turning up your fans.

Are you doing any sort of overclocking and are u using the default HSF that comes with the i7?

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I'm not too suspicious of the PSU, Gigabyte isn't really known for their PSUs, but they are a big enough brand to know better than to tarnish their reputation by crapping out rebranded generic PSUs. Also at 1200W, there should be plenty of headroom for power requirements. That doesn't eliminate a defective unit, but I'd look at other possibilities first.

I'm more inclined to agree with kube's idea. The OP said temps appear normal, but doesn't say what they are. the Core i7 runs pretty hot at baseline, a loose heatsink retention clip, or overclocking using stock HSF can easily push the system to overheating shutdowns. If you do reseat the heatsink, make sure to use fresh, high quality thermal paste, and clean off all of the old stuff.

Everyone, including Corsair produces an occasional lemon. I would be more inclined to suspect a power supply before the motherboard.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

It doesn't really matter how many fans you have spinning if your HSF is not / no longer mounted properly. If you are using a 'pin' mount instead of a back-plate mount, then it is possible that your mount's pins (or one of them even) have worked loose.

Test your temps with realtemp, coretemp, etc. Realtemp, IMO is the most accurate of the lot, but that's just my opinion.

Gigabyte is not the best PSU in the world, but yours is so much overkill that I cannot see that unit having any overheating issues...

I've had issues with Gigabyte MB's in the past, but never after 60 days of use, most either work or fail right out of the box.

So my first suspect would be how the HSF is mounted.