GT300 wins over 5870

G

From Fudzilla,

Several people confirm

Nvidia is still not revealing any details about its chip that we still call GT300 but one thing is getting quite certain. A few people who saw just leaked performance data on ATI's soon to launch Radeon HD 5870 have told Fudzilla that they are absolutely confident that GT300 will win over Radeon HD 5870.

Since GT300 has its GX2 brother they should not fear much against Radeon 5870 X2 whenever that comes out, as if Nvidia wins a single chip battle, they can win the dual one as well.

We can only confirm that GT300 is not a GT200 in 40nm with DirectX 11 support. It’s a brand new chip that was designed almost entirely from the ground up. Industry sources believe that this is the biggest change since G80 was launched and that you can expect such level of innovation and change.

The launch as far as we know is still slated for late November and hasn’t been confirmed.

Kari

Splendid
lol of course they'll say that, no matter what's the truth

and good luck with the dual gt300 card, it's gona be mighty difficult to get it under the 300W limit, if the rumors are true about the size and transistor count of the chip...

G

people only want faster card but remeber that 5870x2 will have nearly 380W TDP

Kari

Splendid
people only want faster card but remeber that 5870x2 will have nearly 380W TDP
I highly doubt ati is going to release a card that doesn't fit into the Jedec's PCI-e standards. That 380W is just twice the 5870s tdp, and not 'real' as such. I believe they will bring it down to around 280W or below, just like the 4870x2

G

but they will need to downclock it a lot to this and its not double the 5870 performance

bige420

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
From Fudzilla,

It’s a brand new chip that was designed almost entirely from the ground up. Industry sources believe that this is the biggest change since G80 was launched and that you can expect such level of innovation and change.

The launch as far as we know is still slated for late November and hasn’t been confirmed.
If this is true then I wouldn't doubt that it might beat the 5800 series, but its just speculation until we see some real world benches. "Industry Sources" cant be trusted.....

G

Its good news that nvidia is not just sitting and waiting to see what ati has to offer. Competition in this battle will be very intresting and will bring price wars in all segments what is good for us

Kari

Splendid
^^believe me, they are allready hard at work with the next gen chips, u know, the ones that come after the HD5xxx and gt300. It takes like 3 years to come up with a new chip...

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
http://hardocp.com/news/2009/09/15/nvidia_gt300_yields_are_under_263

If this is true, there's no way that Nvidia is hiting a november release. And certainly not getting a dual GPU card, at least until their next die shrink.

By that time, ATI will have won over a ton more market share, similar to the 48xx series release.

We've been hearing amazing things about the 58xx series for months now. We've heard next to nothing (aside from an unsourced hint from Fudzilla (really?)) about the GT300 GPUS.

I'd be taking my stock out of Nvidia right now if I had any.

No matter how many ways people link to the same source it's not going become any more factual until other much more reliable voices speak up.

G

If the news from Inquirer are really true, then Nvidia's GT300 will have 512 shader processors and 512bit wide GDDR5 memory interface.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007

Ehh, I hold the same pesimistic attitude.

But "IF" it's true, nvidia is scaroowed. If the source here turns out reliable, then there are some MAJOR design flaws in the GT300 that will require a whole lot more than a couple months for redesigns, revisions, manufacturing, branding, driver creation, and shipping.

If the news from Inquirer are really true, then Nvidia's GT300 will have 512 shader processors and 512bit wide GDDR5 memory interface.

At least post links. No one has the time to waste to search out obscure articles you refference.

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
It better be or nVidia is screwed. However I really hope its faster, as then we will see some nice priced cards. If ati keeps the dominance we wont get sub $200 5800 series card any sooner

OK, if the rumored perf for the 5870 is right, then we see the G300x2 needing to be at least 3 times faster than the 285, which is doable perf wise, but maybe not physically, much like wjat we saw last time when nVidia had to wait for the 295 at lowered clocks and a smaller node

Harrisson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Has anyone noticed how Fuad spreads lies... er.. FUD about ATI and props nVidia? For example, he lied about 5870 X2 TDP (376W... yeah right, he has no slightest clue about it), and now endorses nVidia PR? If you dont believe Charlie about extremely low yields so far, Kyle Bennet from HardOCP says his sources confirmed it. Yet Fuad says GT300 will surely beat 5870 (possible, but how does he know?), how nVidia shouldnt fear 5870 X2 because... "Since GT300 has its GX2 brother they should not fear much against Radeon 5870 X2 whenever that comes out". I find it very funny how its worded, we dont know when GT300 itself will be launched after all delays and low yields, yet by Fuad words it may seem GX2 will be on the shelfs soon, just its not clear when 5870 X2 comes out :sarcastic: How on earth nVidia will be able to launch GX2 at all before next refresh?

This leaves only two possibilities IMO:

1. Fuad is payed by nVidia and actually has inside info, while Charlie, Kyle Bennet and others are being lied to about yields, possible release dates, etc. (disinformation is part of the war).

2. Fuad is payed by nVidia... to spread FUD, no more, no less, at least to spoil 5800 series launch a little bit. Since he has no credibility, he doesnt care if in a month or two he will be caught anyway.

I think its a third scenario, and long time no see Harrisson.
I think FUaD knows Charlies postition, sees him getting hits on his position, and FUaD is just being the opposite, for the hits, simple as that.
Hes not that gullable, to think a x2 card actually uses twice the power, he just isnt. Hes riding the current rumor streak, just playing the devils advocate, and getting hits and attention, whether its true or not, and most likely not.
I did hear those people leaking their info to him had mysterious names like N and V and P and R heheh

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Sure Nvidia will probably produce a chip 20% faster than the 5870, but it'll be a lot more expensive and they'll release it months later so it's not really a fair comparison (by that time the 5890 will be waiting around the corner anyway.)

Even if it is that much faster and every one wanted one there wont be very many on the market with a yield rate of only 1.7%. So I guess that either they find a way to improve the yields or go 32nm and go through hell that will bring not to mention delays.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
The Gt300 has a catch though,

To make it work you need to rub it between your butt cheeks to create enough static electricity to power it up before you plug it in.

Mandatory^, they replaced the main GPU with an Excel mint, so now its minty fresh:D

F*ckzilla said that one, not quite as good as fud, but meh!

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007

Not only would there be a market shortage, they wouldnt even have enough yeild to test and revise. If the rumour turns out true, they wont be able to get it out the door for a long long time.

And I just realized something............................

Nvidia is just now getting their very first silicon yeilds. If that's true, even if they came back golden, there's no way they could hit a november release. And besides that..... First yeilds are typically purely for testing the integerity of a design. There's not a blue frozen flying pigs chance in hell that anyone knows what the GT300 performance will be like.

Let me repeat that: Fudzilla coudln't vacuum more. Fail.

Even if it is faster it won't gain much traction if it costs twice as much. Sure the 285 was faster than the 4870, but the 4870 sure sold more and forced nVidia to lower prices on the 285 and 260. If the 5870 is fast enough, it could force nVidia to sell their G300 cards without much profit, or even at a loss (as was the case of the dual PCB GTX 295). Worst case for nVidia is that it turns out to be their 2900 card, faster on paper but not so much in practice and too expensive to make.

Anyway since the G300 launch doesn't even seem to be close, I think the 5800 series cards will be at the top of the heap for at least a few months.