Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesla1483

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
I recently purchased a new SSD (a 60GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe.) When I was putting it in my computer, I realized that my old crappy computer case only had 3 hard drive bays (this was my 4th storage drive.) As much as I hated to do it, I installed my SSD outside of a bay, connected only by the SATA and power cable. Obviously, this is not my favored way of doing things and only a temporary solution until I can get a case more befitting of my computer, but honestly, is there any real danger in doing this? SSDs by definition have no moving parts, thus no vibrations or movement of any kind from the drive. It's sloppy, yes, but is this an acceptable arrangement for the time being? Thanks

Solution
I think it should be ok for short term but I think it will affect airflow circulation inside the case. So for long term I don't think it is good for cooling.

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
It should be fine. I would recommend using some electric tape to tape it to the side of the case or something rather than just sitting in there. Heck I have seen people use electrical tape for a permanent solution. But just like everyone else here I wouldn't recommend it.

Tesla1483

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Cool, thanks for your help everyone. It seems that my initial suspicions were true. Hopefully soon I will have a more adequate case to accommodate all of my devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.