DELL XPS 720

G

Hello,

I purchased a DELL XPS 720 about 2 years ago. The system had problems from the beginning, but it essentially would work ok. About a year ago the system would not start cold -- i would have to start it up and let it run for about 10-15 minutes and then restart the computer in order to get it to work. At first I thought it was the graphics cards so I replaced them, but still the same problem. Recently the system simply stopped booting at all (I am thinking its the MOBO, but thought I would ask). If it is the MOBO, I would like to simply replace it and keep all of the other parts -- could you let me know what MOBO will work using the same enclosure etc. Thanks for your help.

You have a btx form faxtor sli capable motherboard, perhaps the only one made. You can bid on another one on ebay; there's one with a current bid of $101.xx when I checked a few minutes ago. If you don't want another dell board, I recommend a rosewill or antec atx form factor case from newegg if you live in the usa. Newegg also has the asus P5N-d nvidia 750i sli capable board for only $79.99 after rebate with free shipping. Your dell power supply may be the 1000 watt variety; if so, try it first and see if it fits an atx case. Check the label. If it doesn't fit, antec, corsair, pc power and cooling, seasonic, enermax, or ocz are all good brands.