Sign in with
Your question

Is my build worthy of OC??

Last response: in Overclocking
November 1, 2011 7:22:38 PM

Hey everyone,

I started a post two days ago concerning buying parts for my new rig. I received a lot of useful information and taking everyone's input into consideration, this is what my present build consists of. I know that these aren't the best parts but I set a budget of 1200$ CAN (bang for buck in mind).

I want to quickly note that I do plan on overclocking the CPU and I just wanted everyone's opinion on my build as it relates to overclocking.

In addition, i am very new to all this and i wanted to know if my listed MOBO is easy to overclock or if I should opt for the ASUS MOBO which is more expensive(30$). I am asking because I heard that overclocking with this MOBO is fairly easy...

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k Sandy Bridge .......................................................................................................................... 225$
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 .......................................................................................................................... 40$
Extra Fan: COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200mm Blue LED Case Fan ................................................................................... 25$
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 560Ti ........................................................................................................................................ 240$
PC Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 .................................................................................................................................. 70$
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" ............................................................................... 85$
Power Supply: OCZ ZS Series OCZ-ZS750W 80 PLUS BRONZE ........................................................................................ 100$
MOBO: MSI P67A-GD55 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB .................................................................................. 150$
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 ........................................................................................ 50$
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit ................................................................................ 110$
Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner Black SATA Model ....................................................................................................... 25$

Total: 1, 120$

Thanks again!!!!!!

More about : build worthy

November 1, 2011 7:32:15 PM

I've heard MSI's BIOS isn't the best (no experience though, just what I've heard). I personally love Asus' EFI, very simply to use.
a c 292 V Motherboard
a c 280 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 8:24:16 PM

If the extra fan is for the cooler, sorry for say this but that fan isn't compatible with the cooler plus the PSU isn't the best one on market right now
Related resources
November 1, 2011 8:57:30 PM

Ok I just checked the price for the ASUS MOBO and this model is actually the same in price as the MSI. It also says that its bio is EASY :D 

ASUS P8P67 LE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

How do you rate this MOBO

As for the PSU, would the corsair 650W be powerful enough.... What recommendations would you have to suggest for a good PSU.

Sorry about the fan...Dont mean to sound like a complete noob but would this fan be compatible

COOLER MASTER R4-L2R-20AC-GP 120mm Blue LED Case Fan

Cheers!
a c 292 V Motherboard
a c 280 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 9:01:03 PM

1- Do you want Crossfire or SLI in future?
2- Even 600W can handle the rig but from a good manufacturer, Corsair, Seasonic or XFX are very solid. Corsair TX650W or HX650W are very good.
3- Correct, the cooler is a 120mm cooler and that means that support 120mm fan, the 1st one was a 200mm fan.
November 1, 2011 9:13:18 PM

I know what the term SLI means... I think... (2 graphics cards)
Does Crossfire mean (2 different graphics cards with different capabilities)

Hmmm.... When the time comes, I am not sure if I would be better off simply buying a better GPU like a 570 or 580 than to SLI two 560s ti... If i would SLI, I believe I would need a better PSU....

Ya, I checked Corsair... Is it that much better than my original PSU. For the same price, I get an additional 100W...

Let me know

As for the fan, Ill obvisouly take the 120mm now >.<

a c 292 V Motherboard
a c 280 K Overclocking
November 2, 2011 12:19:10 PM

SLI = Two nVidia GPUs running
Crossfire = two AMD/ATI GPUs running

A 560 Ti SLI performs better than a single GTX 580 but in future you also can do GTX 580 SLI, so, it's just preference. For the GTX 560 Ti SLI the Corsair recommended above can handle without problems but if your want a bigger SLI (GTX 570 or GTX 580) a 750W PSU or above is better.
!