Den807

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: next week Budget 400-500 US dollars
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, watching movies, java programming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: OS keyboard and mouse

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel CPU, ASUS mobo, Sapphire/ HIS Vid card

OVERCLOCKING: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280/1024

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Here are my parts of my build
Processor: core 2 duo e7500
mobo: Asus p5kpl-am se/ P5N73-AM
Vid Card: Sapphire ATI radeon HD4670 512mb ultimate
Hard disk: WD 320gb SATA
Monitor: Samsung 943BWx 18" dvi
Optical: Samsung SH-223Q 22X SATA Lightscribe
Casing: Antec 300
PSU: corsair HX450

jbakerlent

Distinguished
I don't know whether you are aware of this already, but in the event that you're not, I thought I'd inform you that it is not recommended to build a rig based on socket 775. The issue is not performance per say, but the fact that the socket is a the end of it's lifespan. A new line of processors is slated to replace it, and almost no new processors will be released for the 775 socket. At this point I would recommend AMD AM3, but if this doesn't work for you, consider waiting for the next line of processors to be released. If you could care less about upgrading or getting the latest technology then by all means keep your current build, it will perform fine.

Den807

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Oh yeah the memory, got an old ddr2 Geil 2gb going to use that.

As for it going obsolete, i didnt know that, thanks for giving me the heads up. but I'm planning to use this computer for more than 5 years or so, so would it be worth it? or should i just wait a few months more and shell out more $$ for getting the newer type of proccessor? cuz from what i read, an i7 rig is really great but i don't have the budget to get a computer like that, this computer is only for playing a few casual games like RA3, left 4 dead and call of duty, and some programming like java, so i don't really need a very high performance rig.

any thoughts? thanks!

Hmm something within range?
1294.jpg

Den807

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
hmmm but if i get a core 2 quad, would it last longer in terms of it being capable of keeping up with the newer versions? and if i change it into a Palit Nvidia 9600GT, would a 520watts true rated PSU suffice? because on a calculator, its already at 420 watts

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Note, you don't really want to look at wattage, but at the amps on the 12v+ rail. I think on that Corsair it's rated for 30 amps. To give you an example, my 650 watt PSU is rated for 38 amps. The last 400 watt PSU I had was rated at 20 amps. So that gives you an idea how strong that power supply actually is.

As far as the core 2 quad, My opinion is that if you get the most current AMD AM3 setup you can afford, you will set yourself up better, because in a year or 2, you may very well be able to drop a better chip into your rig and get better performance.

The AM3 Quads compare pretty nicely with the Core 2 Quads. They are only really beaten by i7 (and even then in some areas it is negligable, some areas it is huge though). For your price range I think you shoudl really consider AM3. There is also the i5 that is supposed to come out soon, but I really know nothing about it.