Dell Latitude CP- flashing status lights - Why?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 14, 2004 11:08:32 PM

I have a new-to-me Dell CP laptop purchased on ebay. When I turn it on via
the on/off button, the three status lights flash off and on several times,
the computer beeps, and then shuts down. I can't get it to boot from even
floppy. Nothing I've tried bypasses this sequence. Any idea in what the
problem could be? Thanks!

BTW Windoes 98SE is supposedly installed on a 6 Gig HD . Even with the hard
drive and floppy drive removed, still does the same thing... Incidently, I
can't remove the CD-ROM module from its bay. Appears to be 'stuck'
somehow. Do the button release slides ever 'break'??
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 15, 2004 12:04:08 AM

hi,
if the cp is like the cpi it should have a cover on the bottom of the
laptop that you remove to access the memory . remove and reset the
memory . if you have more than one chip i would try booting with 1 at
a time . shipping may have popped them loose or you may have a faulty
chip . my daughters cpi did the same thing .
hope this helps,
terry

==============
a b D Laptop
May 15, 2004 2:15:06 AM

UPDATE: , I just did some testing and the flash codes(computer will NOT
boot) are
5-1-2 for ":No Useable Memory" What does that mean??

"Stephen Hartz" <SHartz@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> I have a new-to-me Dell CP laptop purchased on ebay. When I turn it on
via
> the on/off button, the three status lights flash off and on several times,
> the computer beeps, and then shuts down. I can't get it to boot from
even
> floppy. Nothing I've tried bypasses this sequence. Any idea in what the
> problem could be? Thanks!
>
> BTW Windoes 98SE is supposedly installed on a 6 Gig HD . Even with the
hard
> drive and floppy drive removed, still does the same thing... Incidently,
> can't remove the CD-ROM module from its bay. Appears to be 'stuck'
> somehow. Do the button release slides ever 'break'??

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 15, 2004 4:06:31 AM

Try reseating the memory a couple of times, it could have been upset in
transit slightly. Otherwise the ram is not working/not compatible with the
laptop.

!