dorky24

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Hi all!

I just recently built a new PC (first time builder)

My current issue is that it takes forever to load even the most basic of applications. One example is that when i try to load winrar, the program does not show up on my screen. However when i load up the task manager, the processes list shows that Winrar is running in the background. After 3 or so minutes, Winrar finally pops up onto the screen. After that, when i press the extract button, the new box that shows where i can extract my files to takes 5 or so minutes to load. This issues happens with many of other programs such as Notepad, microsoft word, windows media player, vlc media player, and a bunch of others.

Another issue that occurs is that when i'm watching a video via stream, optical drive, or hard drive, the entire video will stutter for a second and then play normally. The stuttering pops up here and there. The stuttering also occurs with listening to music.

Here is my current spec list:

Windows vista home premium sp1 64 bit

MSI R4890-T2D1G OC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - OC Edition

MSI K9A2 CF-F V2 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDX945FBGIBOX

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2G10664GK

Thanks for your help! :hello:

Does it take a long time to load Windows? If so, I'd be inclined to suspect a bad hard drive. If not, did you put an anti-virus scanner on your new PC? If so, try again after resetting your CMOS to defaults. If not, you may have gotten infected. Do you see a lot of activity from your hard drive and on your internet connection, even when you aren't doing anything?

Well, since its a new build I would guess you're having driver issues. I would use a program like everest to see if you have the latest drivers.

I have been doing this for quite awhile and I almost never use the drivers from the cd when I do an install. I typically install the ethernet drivers first then go get the latest mobo drivers. Then I dl the latest video drivers from nvidia's site or ati's. The I grab the rest, periodically usiong a program like everest to see if I missed anything.
I also like using pcpitstop.com because I can see how newer drivers have an effect on performance, and they also list which drivers they think I need to update. BUT, that part of the program is not always accurate, but it gives youa general idea if your machine is running as it should be. The part I like is I can run the test multiple times because it only takes 3 minutes to see where my system is at.

barring all of that, it may be that a bios update could fix your woes. You should have a very zippy system there friend. gl

dorky24

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Thanks for all your help guys!

Unfortunately though, the problem still persists. I used MSI live update to update my mobo bios. I also tried scanning for viruses and there aren't any. Also, my hard drive works fine.