New build won't power with 2 ram sticks :S

sn00pie

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Hi, I've just put together my friend's computer. At first it all seemed fine, but then I realised that after switching it on, 10 seconds later it powers off. I thought it may be an overheating issue with the cpu heatsink, so I took it all out and now have the PSU and MOBO assembled outside of the case, which by chance I thought maybe the RAM is faulty. It is 2*2GB sticks, so I tried with 1 stick and it works fine. Tried using the other stick on it's own, and that too works fine. I've also tried each stick in each slot, and they work in either.

Specs:

Asus P5KPL SE motherboard
Coolermaster RE 460 PCAP A3 powersupply (460w)
Corsair 2*2GB 800mhz ram
Core2Duo E7300 I think

Is the powersupply not substantial enough? My computer has a 500W, 4gb ram, 8800gt, E7200 2.53ghz etc and runs just fine........

It's not a good PSU, but that is not the issue here.

It's far more likely that you have to configure your RAM manually in the BIOS.

Set the timings, frequency, and DRAM VOLTAGE to the specs listed for your specific Corsair DDR2 kit, then power down and insert the other stick.

sn00pie

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008

I'm not experienced in this, could you give me a quick tutorial how?

This is the RAM

It's not meant to be a top end rig, just something for the family

That memory should be fairly forgiving, because the timings are loose and the voltage reqs are the minimum.

I doubt the BIOS is too extensive. Just get into BIOS by following the prompt at boot. It's probably the Del key.

Look for the DRAM timings and voltage, which may or may not be in the same area. You should also see DRAM Frequency somewhere... This should be no higher than 400/800

I say 400/800 because of the way different BIOS versions will display it. In your case I think you will get the higher number. You'll have a list like this:

or like this:

They mean the same thing, the second is just the first one doubled.

The timings will appear in order, and may require you to select "Manual" somewhere before they appear.

The DRAM voltage will be called that, and if it's at 1.8V already you can try 1.9V as a test.

You are only using the onboard graphics, right? Wattage should no be a problem and one stick of RAM would not put enough strain on the cheap PSU to matter.

You may need a BIOS upgrade, which you can do if careful and follow the Asus directions carefully... but try all this first before going to that extreme.

sn00pie

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008

Thank you I will try this. I think he's gotta put a cheap (8400GS, £20) card in as the mobo has no vga slot for the monitor

sn00pie

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008

This is the motherboard on eBuyer which is where he bought it from.

here are a few pics, inside with the model number, and the rear panel. No VGA :( You're right it does say G31... what's going on here?

Mdp1B.jpg

4i55h.jpg

Perhaps you got a the Indonesian version :lol:
http://id.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=563&l4=0&model=2531&modelmenu=1

Looks like a misprint on the sites I checked. When I finally found the Asus page on the board, no VGA connection is present. The ebuyer page clearly states " high performance integrated graphics engine" but it doesn't actually claim it's connected to an output :lol:

Other versions of the P5KPL do actually ship with VGA ports. They probably saved 2 bucks leaving out the port, as the chipset has the functionality built-in.

If you still are having no luck on the RAM, you might suspect the board. Presumably it has a warranty, or you are still within the return policy deadline?

If it still gives you issues after manually setting the correct settings try increasing the Ram voltage by one step (like 1.85v or 1.825v if your board allows). If you go up to 1.9v and still have issues it could be the board, so do a google search of that board and that RAM to see if anyone else is having simular problems. You will probably have to wad through a few pages of results. If you don't find anything and you're still having issues it could be that RAM just doesn't like to work in dual channel so you may want to RMA it. Also run Memtest86 for a while on each stick to be sure that they are not simply defective.