Sign in with
Your question
Solved

1300 Pro with HDMI HDTV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 16, 2009 10:10:43 PM

Hi have a ATI Radeon x1300 Pro 256 MB video card and would like to know if I can connect this card to the HDMI port on a high-definition television. If so what equipment do I need?

More about : 1300 pro hdmi hdtv

a c 126 U Graphics card
September 17, 2009 1:52:10 AM

YES.
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/972/three_hdmi_graphi...

You will run into a few things you will likely need to change. For example, since it's using the S/PDIF input from your audio card as it's audio source you will have to make sure your software has S/PDIF as the OUTPUT. This is NOT the default.

A newer audio card may be able to do this for ALL AUDIO (windows sounds, movies, games) by just making a single change in the Options for your audio card (like the Auzentech Forte X-Fi). I have no tested this as my card doesn't have S/PDIF input.

If you have a normal onboard audio chip things will be different. You may have to enable S/PDIF output for your audio decoder. Most people should be using the K-Lite Codec FULL pack. Use the included WMPC-HC and when it plays a video, right-click-> Filters and open up the audio filter. If it's FFDShow Audio there's an option for S/PDIF (pass-through). Seeing the "pass-through" does make me think you would have to have the S/PDIF (digital) enabled for your audio card somewhere else.

I'm not certain if S/PDIF will do EVERYTHING you need. Anyway, it's a combination of your audio card, decoders and applications.

You can probably Google for more information.

The short answer was YES.

It also depends on what your video INPUT options are. If you use HDMI (not HDMI-PC) you are using a VIDEO input not a PC one. This means your choices are 480p/i, 720p, 1080p/i though you'd likely only choose 1080p if available. So you have a resolution of 1920x1080 @60Hz. How do you get 1024x768? You don't.

I use the VGA PC input and 3.5mm stereo audio. It just works with no issues. I have a nomral VGA input cable and 3.5mm audio cable. I think you can even bypass HDCP (BluRay protection) with Slysoft.

So there's a lot to think about and play with and it depends a lot on your hardware. You should have a look at Auzentech.
September 17, 2009 2:54:09 AM

photonboy said:
YES.
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/972/three_hdmi_graphi...

You will run into a few things you will likely need to change. For example, since it's using the S/PDIF input from your audio card as it's audio source you will have to make sure your software has S/PDIF as the OUTPUT. This is NOT the default.

A newer audio card may be able to do this for ALL AUDIO (windows sounds, movies, games) by just making a single change in the Options for your audio card (like the Auzentech Forte X-Fi). I have no tested this as my card doesn't have S/PDIF input.

If you have a normal onboard audio chip things will be different. You may have to enable S/PDIF output for your audio decoder. Most people should be using the K-Lite Codec FULL pack. Use the included WMPC-HC and when it plays a video, right-click-> Filters and open up the audio filter. If it's FFDShow Audio there's an option for S/PDIF (pass-through). Seeing the "pass-through" does make me think you would have to have the S/PDIF (digital) enabled for your audio card somewhere else.

I'm not certain if S/PDIF will do EVERYTHING you need. Anyway, it's a combination of your audio card, decoders and applications.

You can probably Google for more information.

The short answer was YES.

It also depends on what your video INPUT options are. If you use HDMI (not HDMI-PC) you are using a VIDEO input not a PC one. This means your choices are 480p/i, 720p, 1080p/i though you'd likely only choose 1080p if available. So you have a resolution of 1920x1080 @60Hz. How do you get 1024x768? You don't.

I use the VGA PC input and 3.5mm stereo audio. It just works with no issues. I have a nomral VGA input cable and 3.5mm audio cable. I think you can even bypass HDCP (BluRay protection) with Slysoft.

So there's a lot to think about and play with and it depends a lot on your hardware. You should have a look at Auzentech.

I failed to mention in my previous message that my computer is a Dell Dimension E521. The video card came with it, but I don't know the manufacturer. It only has S-Video, VGA and DVI-I outputs. I mainly want to know if it would work with a DVI-I to HDMI converter with a normal HDMI cable.

Sorry for the lack of information in the previous message.
Related resources

Best solution

a c 126 U Graphics card
September 17, 2009 3:19:54 AM

The card you mentioned DOES have an HDMI output version..

Yes, DVI-I -> HDMI output works fine. It passes only the video so from the monitor or TV's point of view it is EXACTLY the same as DVI-> DVI.

There ARE cards that have a DVI-I output that ALSO contains HDMI audio on some pins (you'd need a DVI-I ->HDMI adapter). You can't magically get audio out from any DVI-I output. Most of these cases with adapters are limited in how you get the HDMI signal and it's just too confusing.

If you go DVI-I -> HDMI you will also need sound. You have two options:
1) A separate receiver
2) A monitor or HDTV that can play sound on the same HDMI input

Monitors and HDTV's tend to GROUP audio and video inputs. If I toggle "Video 1", "Video 2" etc I'm toggling between groups of inputs. One group might simply be an HDMI input. One group might be Component Video + RCA Audio. One group might be PC-VGA + 3.5mm audio.

Your only problem might be if you don't have an audio input as part of the HDMI group. Physically, they tend to draw lines around the inputs. The manual should explain. It's easy to figure out. If you toggle the Video Inputs and get sound on one input and video on another input that won't work.
September 17, 2009 2:54:54 PM

photonboy said:

Yes, DVI-I -> HDMI output works fine. It passes only the video so from the monitor or TV's point of view it is EXACTLY the same as DVI-> DVI.

There ARE cards that have a DVI-I output that ALSO contains HDMI audio on some pins (you'd need a DVI-I ->HDMI adapter). You can't magically get audio out from any DVI-I output. Most of these cases with adapters are limited in how you get the HDMI signal and it's just too confusing.

1) A separate receiver

Monitors and HDTV's tend to GROUP audio and video inputs. If I toggle "Video 1", "Video 2" etc I'm toggling between groups of inputs. One group might simply be an HDMI input. One group might be Component Video + RCA Audio. One group might be PC-VGA + 3.5mm audio.

Your only problem might be if you don't have an audio input as part of the HDMI group. Physically, they tend to draw lines around the inputs. The manual should explain. It's easy to figure out. If you toggle the Video Inputs and get sound on one input and video on another input that won't work.

I'm getting my audio through a headset, so the audio is no problem.
The manual for the card says to use a DVI-I to component converter, but I figured to the video output should work just the same with the HDMI port. I guess that's correct right?

Thanks for all the information. It's really helpful.
September 18, 2009 2:29:54 PM

photonboy said:

1) A separate receiver

press

What would happen if I used a standard DVI to HDMI converter? Is it possible to damage my TV using the wrong converter or cable?
!