Need advice for my new pc

G

Hello there,

Im preparing to make a new pc and ive came up with the following spec. I would like some advice, however, in case im missing something.

■ Intel-Quad Core 8400 (s775, 2.66 GHz, Box)
■Asus-P5QC (s775, DDR2/3, P45)
■Kingston-Hyperx SLI 2GB DDR2-1066 Ram Kit (PC2 8500, KHX8500D2K2/2GN)
■Sparkle-GTX 260+ SVGA (PCI Express, 216C, 896MB, SXX260896D3S-VP)
■Silverstone-Olympia SST-OP650 PSU 650W

Im fairly sure this is the CPU and video card im gonna get, but i cant say the same about the mobo and the PSU.

I chose this mobo cause it offers both DDR and DDR3 slots.As for the PSU i came to understand after some reading that it is better if there is a single 12V, and this one is the best one i can find at the place im buying pc from.

Did i get anything right? is there something i miss?

Thanks for reading!

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
Im guessing you have things like a case, hard drive, optical drive?

What operating system will you be using, and what is the purpose of the computer?

I would try to find a PSU by Antec or Corsair or PC Power & Cooling, you will be fine with a mutliple rail PSU, look for something at least 500 watts or more.

Are you purchasing the products from a store somewhere, or is there a website you can link?

G

Ye case,hd etc im pretty confident about.

Im gonna use mainly for gaming.As for the OS ill be running on XP, when 7 is out i intend to switch though.
Im buying them from a non-english site so it would be hard for you to browse and thats why i didnt link.

So,anyway, you tell me that i shouldnt look for 1 rail PSU? What about the mobo?

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
Windows 7 RC is good until summer next year, good way to save 100 bucks =)

I am not saying don't get a 1-rail PSU, just that they are often more expensive than mutli-rail PSU, and your current system will be fine on a mutli-rail as there is nothing that is going to require a huge amount of power. Try looking for something like the Corsair 650TX, or the Antec EA650, both are good power supplies that will give you plenty of upgrade room.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128359

This is a great motherboard, the one you selected is currently deactivated at newegg, so its likely an older model. For your needs, $100US is a good benchmark for a motherboard. Gigabyte and Asus are too great choices.

If I were you I would get 4GB of RAM, mainly because its so cheap, and you can get the 64-bit Windows 7 RC and utilize all of it.

Everything else looks pretty good.

G

Hmm i gave it some thought and came up with this alternative:

• Intel Quad Core 8400 (s775, 2.66 GHz, Box)
Sparkle GTX 260+ SVGA (PCI Express, 216C, 896MB, SXX260896D3S-VP)
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3 (s775, DDR2, P45)
OCZ Fatal1Ty PSU (550W, OCZ550FTY-EU)
OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB CL4 DDR2-800 Ram Kit (PC2-6400, 4-4-4-15, OCZ2RPR800C44GK)

Ofc it is not perfect or fancy but it anything else exceeds my budget im already hitting 700 euro with monitor case etc etc. Plus the place im buying from doesnt offer so many options but it has pretty good support and is 2 mins from my place.

What do you think? any comments welcome :)

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
Depending on your monitor resolution and games you play, you might not need the 260. If your on a 19" or less monitor, you could do fine with a GTS250 or HD4850, both a good bit cheaper than a 260.

Everything else looks solid

G

Nah my new monitor is 22" and graphics is what i really missed after been stack for 2 years with crappy 15" laptop.

Thank you for help!