Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom ii x4 965 with Corsair H70 Overclock

Last response: in Overclocking
November 2, 2011 1:35:40 AM

Hi, I'm looking to (further) overclock my Phenom ii x4 965 to (hopefully) 4.2 GHz, but I can live with 4.0 GHz. I've had it overclocked at 3.9 GHz for a while, and it was stable, except on the Prime95 Blend Test, and Fallout 3, everything else was fine even on max settings, but I want it to be stable :) , here are my specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom ii x4 965 BE @ 4.0 GHz, 216 MHz BCLK, x18.5 mult.(not completely stable), 1.452V idle, 1.464V Load, NB at 2167.3 MHz, NB Voltage is 1.11V
Cooler: Corsair H70
Mobo: ASUS Crosshair iv formula
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1544MHz(rated at 1600MHz 7-7-7-24 1.65V) 8-8-8-24 1.65V, I just loosened these timings to make sure it wasn't the ram
GPU: 2x Radeon HD 5870 @ stock
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932, stock fans

I am somewhat worried about the NB and CPU temps, I sometimes see the NB at 53 degrees celsius on startup, but later go down to 48. and my cpu is idle at 36-38 and it goes as high as 62, which I heard was the safe maximum

Do these voltage/clock ratios look good?

I'd also like to overclock my NB Frequency as far as possible, what is a good milestone? I heard that gives better performance, and I've also heard it gives better stability, when should I try to overclock to make it more stable? And how do I know it's this?

Can I also hear your thoughts on the HT Link speed? Mine is currently at 1950 MHz, (2000MHz is the stock clock) I heard overclocking it lowers performance and may make it unstable.

Also, what is the safe voltage for these phenoms? I heard it's 1.5 and I've also heard it's 1.45, so I went with 1.45.
November 2, 2011 1:59:25 AM

:(  what is your suggestion for a better cooler? Best of the best is nice but no building of water cooling loops xD. What makes the h70 inefficient? Would it be worth it getting better fans?

I don't think I can send it back, I had it for about 3/4 of a year now
m
l
Related resources
November 2, 2011 2:22:53 AM

on my 965, i couldnt get NB much over 2250, the HT should always be close to 2k, 1950 is fine, i'd also say up to <2200 is ok. On my 1090t i get way better NB speeds... in the ball park of 2600MHz, but i think with the clocks im running it sits closer to 2400. a higher NB will help a little in memory benchmarks. but i think anything over 2200 is not going to add much...
As for the memory, i'd run it @ it's rated speed...
My opinion on CPU temps is, there is something wrong... i use a H60 and dont see anything near 50c. I think once with prime @4.1GHz and 1.5v I just hit 50c... so, im thinking there is something wrong with the way you are using the H70.... maybe google for how people have them set up in the HAF932's 1.5 prolly safe for benchmark runs, 1.475 should be your highend for everyday use, 1.45 prefered.

I have just recently re-arranged my H60 cooler in my NZXT Phantom to exhaust air out the back and have seen a significant temp drop on the NB and a slight drop in CPU... my NB hardly cracks 40c now, while it used to always be in the 50's... dont be afraid to chake that H70, i wouldnt be suprised if you didnt have an air bubble in it..

My opinion, unless you want to show a decent 3dmark... aim to run your 965 @ 3.8GHz, it's stable, it's safe anything more than that isnt gonna give much return for the stress on u & the system... I've tried diff multi, ram @1800MHz, vs 1600, 225FSB vs 200, in the end the scores are all about the same..... bump your NB toward 2400 if it can handle it,, CPU @ 3.8 w/ 1.45v and your CPU temps should def be sub 45c
m
l
November 2, 2011 2:35:23 AM

the H70 is a decent cooler.... it's certainly not the best... but it does well, I think you have something set up wrong... your idle temps should be in the uppers 20's if you have C&Q disabled (which u should for overclocking) so im thinking 28c should be your idle temp and 45 avg load temp.... the fact that you say it starts at 53c then cools down has me thinking you have the pump connected to the wrong fan header or there is a bios setting in MB utility that is keeping the rpm of the pump off or very low.

If you want a cooler, I'd recommend : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... it's a pure cooling beast for $25!!!!!

but honestly the H70 w/ 2 fans set up correctly can compete with the best of them
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 2, 2011 3:26:31 AM

Andriko_08 said:
Quote:
I am somewhat worried about the NB and CPU temps, I sometimes see the NB at 53 degrees celsius on startup, but later go down to 48. and my cpu is idle at 36-38 and it goes as high as 62, which I heard was the safe maximum
Do these voltage/clock ratios look good?

Yes it looks very good, for the NB that;s because the stock thermal grease from Asus sucks, i modded my NB heatsink and reapplied thermal paste and temps don't exceed 65C OCed to 2574.
Anyway you're fine till 70s
For the CPU, is that the Core Temps or the CPU temp itself reported by BIOS ?

Quote:
I'd also like to overclock my NB Frequency as far as possible, what is a good milestone? I heard that gives better performance, and I've also heard it gives better stability, when should I try to overclock to make it more stable? And how do I know it's this?

Not that much, OCing increase performance but you'll notice it via a benchmark program like 3D mark or 5-10 FPS increase in games, see this http://www.anandtech.com/show/3877/asrock-890fx-deluxe-...
Quote:
Can I also hear your thoughts on the HT Link speed? Mine is currently at 1950 MHz, (2000MHz is the stock clock) I heard overclocking it lowers performance and may make it unstable.

Leave it @ 2K or 2100 if you'll do extreme OCing.
Quote:
Also, what is the safe voltage for these phenoms? I heard it's 1.5 and I've also heard it's 1.45, so I went with 1.45

@ 4.0 GHz you shouldn't exceed 1.5V, above that is allowed but dangerous with normal air and water cooling

Note1: That said H70 is not efficient cooler, THIS IS A JOKE.
Note2: 4.0 to 4.2 no increase in performance at all, and no one gets stable OC beyond that with normal air/liquid cooling.
Note3: If you're getting erros by Prime95, then you're not stable, and as long as you're only OCing the BE CPU then the problem will be voltage.
m
l
November 4, 2011 10:31:34 PM

Ok... I just had the weirdest thing happen, during OCCT testing, about 2-3 minutes into the test my screen went black... expecting my keyboard lighting to turn off then on and hearing the beep on startup, it never happened, curious, I pressed alt tab, noticed my whole desktop was black, except the start menu button, I pressed it and the rest of the "toolbar" at the bottom appeared, I closed OCCT and the black went away, and everything seems fine, except in Core Temp 1.0 my frequency reads at 8040.21MHZ (434.61 x 18.5) on all 4 cores... this doesn't happen in CPU-Z
m
l
November 6, 2011 7:16:55 PM

Okay, I abandoned OCCT because it just kept crashing, I don't know why I never had that problem, but now I am using Prime95 blend + small fft tests around 15 min-1 hour after each BIOS change.

Another question: On my crosshair iv formula, it calls this thing CPU/NB Frequency, which I assume is the memory controller speed, and 2 voltages I found with similar names are NB voltage and CPU/NB Voltage, if my memory controller speeds lose stability, which voltage do I increase?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 21, 2013 6:50:28 AM

CPU/NB voltage only, your NB voltage should stay around 1.1v or so. CPU/NB should be around 1.875 or so, but it can be moved around somewhat safely (Should be fine at stock settings though). Don't touch the NB voltage though.
m
l
!