Solved

Selectively Uninstalling Windows Updates

I recently installed a bunch of updates from the Windows update site. Now, some of the previously installed enterprise Java applications on my computer are not functioning properly, so I would like to back out these updates. Ideally, System Restore would do the trick, but the IT admins here disabled that feature. From Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs I can select any single update and remove it without issue. Unfortunately, it doesn't give you a nice sortable list (i.e. install dates are often missing and you can't sort by KB#). I already uninstalled the handful of updates that I could find without fixing the problem. Is there another way (command line or another tool or utility) that I can use to selectively uninstall Windows updates? Thanks.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about selectively uninstalling windows updates
  1. If you know which updates were installed when, you can use a command line with the msi file names of the updates, but that will take even longer than from Add/Remove.

You can check in the event logs, should tell you when what was installed. Should also be logs on the drive in text files for updates.
  2. The Windows update site provides a nice list of what was installed. How do I use the command line to uninstall updates?
  3. Best answer
  4. Best answer selected by pcpro178.
  5. pcpro178 said:
    The Windows update site provides a nice list of what was installed. How do I use the command line to uninstall updates?

i just wanted to mention that the windows installer is quite restricted. you need at least the name of a package or the GUID. i was searching for a more flexible command and found wuinstall, which as several filter option like regex and so on.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Windows Update Windows XP