Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Selectively Uninstalling Windows Updates

Last response: in Windows XP
February 3, 2012 3:28:46 PM

I recently installed a bunch of updates from the Windows update site. Now, some of the previously installed enterprise Java applications on my computer are not functioning properly, so I would like to back out these updates. Ideally, System Restore would do the trick, but the IT admins here disabled that feature. From Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs I can select any single update and remove it without issue. Unfortunately, it doesn't give you a nice sortable list (i.e. install dates are often missing and you can't sort by KB#). I already uninstalled the handful of updates that I could find without fixing the problem. Is there another way (command line or another tool or utility) that I can use to selectively uninstall Windows updates? Thanks.
February 3, 2012 3:37:28 PM

If you know which updates were installed when, you can use a command line with the msi file names of the updates, but that will take even longer than from Add/Remove.

You can check in the event logs, should tell you when what was installed. Should also be logs on the drive in text files for updates.
m
l
February 3, 2012 3:55:59 PM

The Windows update site provides a nice list of what was installed. How do I use the command line to uninstall updates?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 3, 2012 3:58:15 PM
February 3, 2012 5:47:54 PM

Best answer selected by pcpro178.
m
l
June 25, 2012 12:59:17 PM

pcpro178 said:
The Windows update site provides a nice list of what was installed. How do I use the command line to uninstall updates?

i just wanted to mention that the windows installer is quite restricted. you need at least the name of a package or the GUID. i was searching for a more flexible command and found wuinstall, which as several filter option like regex and so on.
m
l
!