Sign in with
Your question

Help w/$600-700 est new build(Intel based) for audio rec'ng

Last response: in Systems
August 27, 2009 9:48:40 PM

Going by the guidelines to get the best response, I'm tryna put together this system and have it in hand an operable by middle of September. Buying of the parts in 2 weeks. I'm currently at roughly $600 on the build. I'll be using this system solely to record audio in a home studio setting, this will be my FIRST top to bottom build. It will def. be used heavily for recording, so the motherboard, chipsets need to gel. I already have a pro 24 bit digital audio card(Delta 44) that I'll be using.

Since this is a recording only pc, I won't be perusing the internet with it and particularly with the mobos, I don't need some tricked out board desigined for gaming(the slots for mega video cards, etc). I'm pretty deadset on having alot of memory, 8-16GB.

I'd like an HDMI/DVI port setup but its not mandatory. I believe i'll be able to get a pci card for that, but if it came on a mobo that fit my other needs, that'd be great. I plan to get an LCD screen to plug in and use off of that.

I've been checking newegg/tigerdirect/directron/xpcgear for mobos, that's really the area i need help on.

I've also read certain chipsets are bogus to record audio with. I've read the intel chipsets are best, based off of being most compatible with the drivers.

On the processor, i'm pretty much locked on an intel dual core. Something easy to overclock. Quad core is an option, but ive read that audio apps really only use two cores anyway.

Basically, more than anything I need a bit of steering on the mobo. As far as the processor goes, just something fairly highspeed, easy to overclock. Something that'll handle the duties of recording with ease.

Also, any rec's on a quiet case and psu?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
August 28, 2009 3:15:38 PM

1 Gigabyte AMD chipset 785 motherboard.
1 SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe Support
1 AMD Athlon II X2 245 2.9GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor
1 G.SKILL 4GB DDR2-800
1 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4670 100255HDMI Video Card
1 Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
1 Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Computer Case
Antec earthwatts EA430 430W Continuous Power Power Supply
1 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee

Grand Total: $598.87
m
l
August 28, 2009 3:17:22 PM

CPU + Motherboard: E5200 + P43 gigabyte combo
GPU: HIS 4670
PSU: 400cx Corsair
Memory: G.Skills Pi Black 2x2gb DDR2 800mhz
HDD: 320gb Western digital or if a Western Digital Black 640gb fits in the budget, get it.
Case: Coolermaster RC-690
OS: Windows Vista Home premium 64-bit with upgrade coupon for Windows 7.
m
l
Related resources
August 28, 2009 3:18:58 PM

The Antec 300 may be a little too noisy for you.
You could get a Coolermaster Centurion instead or RC-690 instead.
m
l
August 28, 2009 6:26:25 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. I actually have the RC-690 in the possible choices list.

Also had the Antec EarthWatts 500W Quiet Power Supply EA-500D $69 in my list of possible psus. You listed the 300, but this one is just a lil bit more powerful. Just want to make sure there's plenty power to run all this stuff.

Originally, I was looking at the cases with a number of fans, but reading more on recording digital audio, the signal could pick up some of the noise from the fans, so i wouldn't be able to go crazy on a case with a bunch of fans, thus leaving me with a fine line to tow. Keep the processor cool with fans or don't have many fans and risk overheating and shortening the life of my pc/processor/any number of things. Little fan noise equals less problem with picking up on the audio signal, but less fans equals hotter. AHHHH.

I was really looking at the AMD processors until I read that the Intel dual cores outperform them. I'd go with a Phenom, but from everything performance wise I've read, Intel still got em with their quad core offerings. I think i mentioned earlier though about reading that audio apps don't even use all 4 cores, so, I can fly well above the radar with a 2.5+ or higher ghz dual core processor.

I'll post a list of what I'm looking at as well, maybe you all can help me eliminate some wonky stuff. I'm still kinda out there on the mobo though. You have experience with the p43?
m
l
September 7, 2009 9:16:03 PM

The Intel Core 2 Duo and Quad socket 775 CPUs are obsolete--Intel is moving to socket 1156 and 1366.
If you want to use one of these older CPUs, keep in mind that you will not be able to upgrade to anything newer without replacing the motherboard as well... and reinstalling your OS and programs. AMD's AM3 platform is new and there are a large number of processors both released and planned for it. You should also be able to find a good dual or triple core processor to suit your needs if you consider AMD.
m
l
!