Solved

AMD Phenom II x3 720 ... or.... AMD Athlon II x3 435

For some time now i have been looking to replace my current CPU for a faster one. Lately i have seen the reviews on the AMD Athlon II x3 435, and it seems comparable to the AMD Phenom II x3 720. The Overclocked version of the AMD Athlon II x3 435 beat the stock AMD Phenom II x3 720, but the review failed to show the Overclocked Phenom compared to the Overclocked Athlon.

Does an Overclocked AMD Phenom II x3 720 beat an Overclocked AMD Athlon II x3 435 in gaming only?

I'm not intrested in synthetic benchmarks, or multitasking.

My Current Rig:

AMD Athlon x64 5000+ (OC to 3.09 Ghz)
2gb DDR2 RAM
Radeon 4870 (1gb dd5)
Foxconn a74mx-k
BFG 450 Watt PSU
Antec 900 Two case
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about phenom athlon
  1. BUMP
  2. to me , x3 720 must be faster in each position . the tests don't show so but it's 7,5 mb cache and black edition structure have a strong impact , on the other hand when we think this in view of price to performance , choice must be 435 . ;)
  3. Before you buy any of the 2 AM3 cpu's I suggest you confirm that your motherboard can take a Phenom2 or Athlon2 to be safe.

Granted I only googled 1 minute however didn't see any results indicating compatibility.
  4. Best answer
    They litterally perform NECK and NECK in every benchmark, games and things you don't care about , lol. But that L3 cache affects some real world system performance. It has to. It comes in to play multi tasking, whether by you or your system. Maybe your anti-virus or multiple programs open. There are circumstances in single run tests that hide the benefits of HIGH speed cache.
    Heres a great review:
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/athlon-ii-x3-435-processor-review-test/1
  5. If you are in it for gaming then for sure go for the X3 720, the added L3 cache adds alot to gaming performance.
  6. My MB is compat, i looked it up and there is a bios flash that supports AM3 procs so it just comes down to which one will be better for games such as:

L4D
    Crysis and Crysis Warhead
    COD4
    COD:MW2
    Dragon Age
    Borderlands

from what i gather the X3 720 is stable at about 3.4ghz-3.5ghz and the X3 435 is stable at about 3.6ghz - 3.7-ghz so does the L3 cache make up for the 100-300 mhz difference between the two in gaming applications?
  7. x3 720 for overclockability , if its in ur budget .
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Phenom Product