Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2nd HDD not recognized in Disk Management

Last response: in Storage
June 18, 2011 11:10:20 PM

I recently put my os on an ssd. At first i had some problems with the boot flash screen hanging. For whatever reason it doesn't like my SSD being in ACHI. I left my SSD in IDE and installed windows. Loaded it up and then plugged back in my HDD. It doesn't show up in computer. So i clicked manage, disk management, and it wasn't there either. Restarted my pc and (because i have win7 on both drives) it asked me to choose which os to load. I chose the os on my SSD. When pushing enter to boot up from the ssd it gives an error something about new hardware. GIGABYTE SATA2 Preinstall driver is the only driver for w/e reason that doesn't come w/ a .exe to install.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

Sys Specs:

CPU: 1090T
RAM: 8GB ddr3
MB: GA-870a-UD3 Rev 2.2
SSD: Corsair F60
HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Black
GPU: Radeon 6850

I updated all of my drivers. I'm at a loss.

More about : 2nd hdd recognized disk management

a c 104 G Storage
June 18, 2011 11:55:35 PM

Hi there,
Give us more info about your SSD (make,model, size SataII-III), which OS version and 32/64 bit you installed on it. When you installed a clean version of Windows, did you have the WD black connect also, or only the single SSD?

Also go to Disk Management, and at the top, list the information about the drives the OS recognizes.
Do you have a 100 MB System Reserved Partition at the beginning of your SSD disk, then the C: SSD drive? Check to see what partition, if any, is marked as Active.

The System Reserved partition should say System, Active, Primary Partition, and your C: SSD should read Healthy (Boot, PageFile, CrashDump, Primary Partition)
The status of your WD black HDD should read Healthy (Primary Partition)
Depending how they are listed, you may need to specifically list the System Reserved Partition as 'Active'
m
l
June 19, 2011 12:03:00 AM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi there,
Give us more info about your SSD (make,model, size SataII-III), which OS version and 32/64 bit you installed on it. When you installed a clean version of Windows, did you have the WD black connect also, or only the single SSD?

Also go to Disk Management, and at the top, list the information about the drives the OS recognizes.
Do you have a 100 MB System Reserved Partition at the beginning of your SSD disk, then the C: SSD drive? Check to see what partition, if any, is marked as Active.

The System Reserved partition should say System, Active, Primary Partition, and your C: SSD should read Healthy (Boot, PageFile, CrashDump, Primary Partition)
The status of your WD black HDD should read Healthy (Primary Partition)
Depending how they are listed, you may need to specifically list the System Reserved Partition as 'Active'

The ssd is a corsair f60 (F=Force Series/60=size in GB) And it's sata III i'd imagine. Win7 64. I only had the SSD hooked up when i installed my os. My HDD was completely removed.

Devices in Disk Mgmt.
Volume: Main C:
Layout: Simple
Type: Basic
File System: NTFS
Status: Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
Capacity: 60gb
Free Space: 28.64 GB
Fault Tolerance: No
Overhead: 0%

There is no system reserved partition on my SSD. Just a "Main (C:) "
My HDD is currently plugged in and powered on. It is not listed in disk management.
m
l
Related resources
June 19, 2011 12:21:57 AM

Restarted my pc went into my BIOS loaded the default optimized settings, rebooted. My pc booted from my SSD and now my HDD is showing up. Is there anything i need to do to make it my "slave drive"? Or can i just install programs to the other drive? Will they run?
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
June 19, 2011 2:57:51 PM

Hello,
Before going further, you need to make a value judgement. You probably formatted your SSD before use, which is OK, and Win-7 placed the startup files in the primary partition, instead of the 100MB system reserved partition, as is preferable going forward. It is presently set up like the classic disk structure of the past with the boot, system, active designation all in the MBR partition.

Here is a good MS article describing the different disk structuring.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd799232(WS.10).aspx

It will work fine, however going into the EFI BIOS era now seen on MSI and ASUS boards, Gigabyte to change shortly, you will need that ESP partition.

Read the article, search a couple more, then decide. I have my system set up using the ESP partition in place, others may say it's not needed, however that is how the new EUFI is going.

Either way, check how much 'data stuff' you have on the HDD to best know how to store it. Also check again in Disk Mgmt to see if your WDD is now listed in the lower graphical section as Disk1, Online, Basic, DriveLetter, Healthy(Primary Partition). It obviously has system files still there as it was your previous boot drive, and when all is done, you may want to wipe it clean to use it with a couple partitions for your data.

Report back what you decide, and we'll get the rest done.

m
l
June 19, 2011 9:05:35 PM

Okay i read some of that stuff and it's a bit confusing but I think i understand. What basically (say that lightly) do i need to do to have my os install correctly? (UEFI)
m
l

Best solution

a c 104 G Storage
June 19, 2011 11:59:31 PM

It's just a reinstallation, but now you know the steps and how much time to allocate.
Put the old HDD aside for now.

On you MB, you want to plug in your SSD drive into SATA_0, which is one of the cluster of 4 vertical Sata ports. When Win is installed, and after you have installed the MB chipset drivers from the GB disk, then use SATA_1 for the WD HDD (it is SATA 3GB/s?). If there were a problem with the ACHI and the WD drive, you could use SATA_4 or SATA_5 which are still connected thry the Southbridge, not the Gigabyte SATA2_6 or 7 ports.

Reboot into the BIOS and in Integrated Peripherals, make sure the Onboard SATA controller is set to Enabled, and the on Chip Sata Type is set to AHCI.
On the Advanced BIOS setting page, again temporarily set the First Boot Device to the DVD, and the second Boot Device to the HDD.

Win 7-64 bit DVD in the drawer, then reboot to the DVD which should start your Win 7 64 bit installation anew.

On the Install Windows page, choose Custom (Advanced) and the next page or two Where do you want to Install Windows, choose to Delete any partitions there so you only have a single area of Unallocated Space.You can then select the Unallocated Space for you new installation. That will wipe out the present Win 7 installation and make it unformatted, so Win-7 will set up the appropriate partitions and format them with NTFS. You'll probably want to have just a single large partition on the SSD, but that's a value judgement. The present installation shows 20GB of free space, so I'd probably make it a single large partition.

The rest you know, and hopefully it will go smoothly. You may have had your SSD plugged into the SATA2_6or7 ports which is why it was asking you for a driver before they were installed. Then go back and reset the First Boot Device to the SSD. Then check in Disk Management and you should have the 100MB hidden partition listed as 'system, active' and your boot partitions (Win-7) as Healthy, boot, pagefile, crashdump, primary. Once everything is working, plug your WD SATA drive into SATA_1
Hope that's helpful
July 4, 2011 5:25:33 AM

Is this the same for my new motherboard (Asus Crosshair Formula V 990fx)
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
July 4, 2011 2:58:42 PM

LCBChef18 said:
Is this the same for my new motherboard (Asus Crosshair Formula V 990fx)

Hi again,

Boy, that's one good looking motherboard!

The Win-7 installation is the same for any Clean installation. Start with a completely unallocated SSD or HDD, and with the UEFI type 'bios' Win wil put 2 hidden partitions up front, a ESP, and MSR partition which it should. If there are any partitions, or if you formatted the drive you are going to use, make sure to delete those partitions so Win will start out fresh. Also don't have any other HDD's connected to the system until after Win-7 in completely installed, so Windows will place these needed UEFI partitions on the boot drive.
m
l
July 4, 2011 7:55:59 PM

I was talking about where to specifically place the sata cables. ;)  and yeah, I can't wait until it shows up at my doorstep.
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
July 4, 2011 10:31:06 PM

LCBChef18 said:
I was talking about where to specifically place the sata cables. ;)  and yeah, I can't wait until it shows up at my doorstep.

If you are going to set this system up new, and use an SSD, possibly a secondary HDD for storage, here's how to make it go smoothly. Only attach the SSD or boot drive to the MB, and either start out with a brand new drive, or in the first couple of steps of installation, delete all partitions, making it all unallocated space. Aslo set up the SSD as AHCI in the BIOS.

Then you attach the primary drive to a 6Gb/s (or 3Gb/s) port on the MB like SATA_0 that attaches directly to the PCH (Intel Southbridge). Put the DVD burner on a slower 3Gb/s port like SATA_2 or 3, leaving SATA_1 6Gb/s port open for your secondary SSD or HDD. Where lots of folks get into trouble is they attach initially their primary drive to a secondary 'controller' like SATA_6 or 7 that requires an F6 driver installation, and then wonder what's wrong when the system asks for a 'driver'. Also a mistake is to initially attach a secondary HDD to the system during installation, where sometimes the OS places startup files on that secondary drive because it has lots of room. When you change or move the secondary drive all of a sudden the startup files are missing and there's no booting.

Then when all's installed perfectly, and you install the MB CD drivers for the audio, and NIC, and the Marvel secondary controllers, you can add your other 'devices' or even more you SATA drive devices to different ports, or add a RAID, or backup drive and it will work fine.

Alwlays fun to get a new rig going!
m
l
July 12, 2011 8:27:56 PM

Thanks, you've been a big help. I have everything up and running :) 
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
July 12, 2011 9:03:50 PM

LCBChef18 said:
Thanks, you've been a big help. I have everything up and running :) 

That's great! Enjoy that SSD.
m
l
July 12, 2011 9:54:48 PM

When i said that i meant the mobo and what not, it booted. Every time I try to install windows the way you have instructed it bsod's or gives an error right after "press any key to boot from dvd/cd" saying "DISKMGR is missing" or something similar. I'm stumped. I click install, advanced, delete, next, it starts to install,crashes, or hangs on "update". Ahci is set to "enabled" in my BIOS

Edit: The installer also throws this error.. "0xc0000005"
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
July 12, 2011 11:24:37 PM

LCBChef18 said:
When i said that i meant the mobo and what not, it booted. Every time I try to install windows the way you have instructed it bsod's or gives an error right after "press any key to boot from dvd/cd" saying "DISKMGR is missing" or something similar. I'm stumped. I click install, advanced, delete, next, it starts to install,crashes, or hangs on "update". Ahci is set to "enabled" in my BIOS

Edit: The installer also throws this error.. "0xc0000005"

Let's just review: This is now your new ASUS motherboard Crosshair Formula V 990fx and you are installing Win-7 on the new SSD?
I reviewed the manual again, which is in German or Japanese. Are you in Germany? Makes it not as understandable since I can't read German!

If so, just have the CPU, RAM, Video card installed. Nothing else. Boot it up and on your monitor you should get
"Non System Disk or Disk Error" and it should stop there.
m
l
July 13, 2011 12:20:39 AM

I'm in america xD My manual is also in english. What am I to do after I remove odd, and ssd?

Edit: I also think my problem may be related to the fact that my RAM is not in the Asus QVL. I'll be getting some RAM this friday

Corsair: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Edit2: Updated my BIOS to 0506 i'm going to see if that helps!

Edit3: Tried it again, it gave me a bsod with stop error "0x00000024" Saying that my hard disk might be corrupt?
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
July 13, 2011 2:04:04 PM

LCBChef18 said:
I'm in america xD My manual is also in english. What am I to do after I remove odd, and ssd?

Edit: I also think my problem may be related to the fact that my RAM is not in the Asus QVL. I'll be getting some RAM this friday

Corsair: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Edit2: Updated my BIOS to 0506 i'm going to see if that helps!

Edit3: Tried it again, it gave me a bsod with stop error "0x00000024" Saying that my hard disk might be corrupt?

Hi again,

Part of the problem may be RAM related. A QVL matched set is best so you know they all will function properly together. Your choice is very nice, very high end for overclocking (later) and probably are spec'd at 1.65v (you need to check that)

Well, we were checking to see if the BIOS and MB are OK. The fact that you get an error related to the HDD means you must still have a HDD or SDD connected. With the updated BIOS, do this step so we can eliminate specific components as problematic. I suspect you haven't deleted all the partitions on the SSD, but that comes next.
m
l
July 13, 2011 4:33:57 PM

Unplugged everything besides gpu, cpu, and ram "reboot and select proper boot device, or instert boot media in selcted boot device and press a key_" Is exactly what it says.
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
July 13, 2011 6:06:11 PM

LCBChef18 said:
Unplugged everything besides gpu, cpu, and ram "reboot and select proper boot device, or instert boot media in selcted boot device and press a key_" Is exactly what it says.

No error message. that's good.

Go into the BIOS and on the Integrated Peripherals page, make sure or change the PCH SATA Control Mode set back to IDE.
Then on Advanced BIOS Page set the First Boot Device to your CD ROM
Then Reboot, you should get approximately the same message such as 'No Boot Device'
If so, Then attach your CD ROM to the system and see if you get the same message. There should be no DVD in the player, just empty.
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
July 13, 2011 8:02:39 PM

If that worked OK, attach your SSD to SATA_0, DVD ROM should be on SATA_2 or 3
Put your Win-7 DVD in the drive and boot.
Automatically Starts 'Install Windows' (3 pages)(don't let it go to the SSD)
Regional Settings, language, time & currency format, keyboard,
Select which type of installation you want, choose Custom (advanced)
Where do you want to install windows, choose Drive Options (Advanced) Delete an existing partition or all, Choose All, next

This deletes everything on the SSD so it's all Unallocated
Now there should just be all Unallocated Space

Here you may need to start over, or just 'Select New Partition from Unallocated Space, Use full space, click apply,

The Windows Installation from the DVD should begin

Follow the instructions from here -

Hopefully that will get you installed OK. The AHCI can be set later thru a registry and BIOS change.

m
l
July 15, 2011 5:17:38 PM

1. Got my new RAM.
2. Deleted all partitions.
3. Clicked next.
4. It installed.
5. Win7 Booted and showed only one large partition, note that SATA was set to AHCI as your first advised.
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
July 15, 2011 7:35:21 PM

LCBChef18 said:
1. Got my new RAM.
2. Deleted all partitions.
3. Clicked next.
4. It installed.
5. Win7 Booted and showed only one large partition, note that SATA was set to AHCI as your first advised.

I'd go for it. If you don't see a hidden partition in Disk Management, Windows has placed the BCD info in that partition. That's OK. It could be a problem if you were going to use Bit Locker, but in all lilelihood you won't ever need it. I forget which version of Win-7 you are using, but that applies to Enterprise and Ultimate, so that option won't even show up with other versions.
Might just check in Disk Management and the Disk 0 partition should read
Status: Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

Sounds like with your new RAM you are ready to get into your new computer!
m
l
July 16, 2011 3:18:22 AM

Yea I found a hidden partition in disk management. Felt kinda dumb after making that post. Is my win7 in uefi? I read some guides online and they all sound much more complicated then what you are suggesting (not implying that you don't know what you're talking about.)
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
July 16, 2011 2:59:08 PM

LCBChef18 said:
Yea I found a hidden partition in disk management. Felt kinda dumb after making that post. Is my win7 in uefi? I read some guides online and they all sound much more complicated then what you are suggesting (not implying that you don't know what you're talking about.)

Getting all the pre Windows files set up properly can be difficult, and comprehending all that goes on before Windows loads is not well understood by many because we all use Windows, not the hardware detection, boot management, etc pre load files required to boot up a computer.

Your 'BIOS' is the latest UEFI, which is just changing over. It's hardware independent, and much more flexible. Yours should be graphical, rather than the blue background/white DOS type printing still used by some MB companies. These are the files and config settings used to recognize the hardware, display a boot menu for more than 1 OS, load the correct OS, set up in partitions separate from the boot partition and OS. The MS reserved partition is part of that. There can be other partitions set up depending is you are using a GPT partition or MBR partition style.
It gets involved, but you should now be all set to load in your apps or games, and enjoy it.
m
l
July 26, 2011 1:34:21 AM

Best answer selected by Lcbchef18.
m
l
!