Solved

GPU Core Clock vs Memory Clock

Hi Toms Forum,

I have looked around a fair amount looking for the answer to this question, have never seen it adequately answered (in my opinion).

The question is this: What gains can be had from overclocking the Memory clock of your GPU?

Increasing the core clock directly affects raw performance and FPS, but I haven't seen a good answer as to what benefits come from increasing the memory clock (aside from a higher 3Dmark score)

Answers and insights would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about core clock memory clock
  1. Any insights?
  2. Memory overclocking helps on cards with low memory bandwidth, and with games with a lot of post-processing/textures/filters like AA that are VRAM intensive.
  3. Does anyone know of an article that benchmarks VRAM clocks compared with Core clocks?

I am looking for a more quantitative idea of how much affect VRAM Frequency has compared to Core clock frequency.
  4. Best answer
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/08/17/asus_rog_matrix_gtx580_platinum_video_card_review/11

Generally it's better to focus on core first then memory, but overclocking the memory does help. I think Tom's had an article on this a while ago, can't find it though.
  5. Thanks Fortunex,

I think that's good enough for me. Let me know if you find any other articles
  6. Best answer selected by blade061188.
  7. To add to this question without making a new thread is will overclocking your memory higher decrease how far you can overclock your coreclock? For example my 7850 2GB will do 1050mhz core / 1300mhz memory without any voltage increase, if I lowered memory to 1100mhz could I do 1100mhz on core with the stock voltage?

Just a curious question :)
  8. I get a lot higher scores when overclocking my ram vs cpu ratio. 3dmark is about 1000 higher on a single 970.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Memory Core Overclocking