Sign in with
Your question

ADDING SECOND HARDRIVE

Last response: in Storage
June 19, 2011 5:10:03 AM

HI
I AM RUNNING WINDOWS 7 AND I HAVE A 7200 RPM 1TB HARDRIVE.I WANT TO ADD A SECOND 150 GIG 10000 RPM RAPTOR TO HANDLE MY O/S AND START UP PROGRAMS TO BOOST PERFORMANCE, THE LARGER H/D FOR STORAGE. MY QUESTION IS WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO DO THIS AND WILL IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
I AM RUNNING SATA INTERFACE

More about : adding hardrive

a b $ Windows 7
a c 143 G Storage
June 19, 2011 6:15:37 AM

IMO... Running a WD VRaptor isn't worth it now-a-days. You will only see a minimal improvement, specially over a drive like the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (not sure of your drive). You would be much better off saving up for an OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD. This would be where you get your improvement you're looking for.

As for what to do, I recommend unplugging the 1TB drive, plug in the WD VRaptor and install the OS & drivers. After everything is setup, install the 1TB drive back in... Make sure to set your boot drive to the WD. Once up in running, I would recommend formatting the 1TB drive (once you have what you need backed up).
m
l
June 19, 2011 4:20:28 PM

tecmo34 said:
IMO... Running a WD VRaptor isn't worth it now-a-days. You will only see a minimal improvement, specially over a drive like the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (not sure of your drive). You would be much better off saving up for an OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD. This would be where you get your improvement you're looking for.

As for what to do, I recommend unplugging the 1TB drive, plug in the WD VRaptor and install the OS & drivers. After everything is setup, install the 1TB drive back in... Make sure to set your boot drive to the WD. Once up in running, I would recommend formatting the 1TB drive (once you have what you need backed up).

Thank you very much should I leave all my info on the 1 tb drive so I have A second system image of my o/s incase of A drive failure? I wish I could afford the ocz but it dosen't fit into my budget right now. will I gain any performance on the raptor?My other option is to sell the new raptor and save up for the OCZ.
thank you for taking your time to answer
Bill Haydock
m
l
!