Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 64bit won't recognize hdds

Last response: in Storage
June 19, 2011 7:11:44 AM

Hello,
I installed new mobo ASUS P5G41T-MLX with 8gb and ran the Windows 7 repair cd and computer will boot but 5 partitions on 4 different drives will show in disk management but are no longer accessible(no longer have drive letter and show as empty). Is there a way to reinstate those partitions?

More about : windows 64bit recognize hdds

a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
June 19, 2011 4:01:02 PM

If you changed the motherboard win 7 will probably require a new key code because this motherboard is not the one you first loaded windows to.
m
l
June 19, 2011 9:51:59 PM

Win 7 does boot, but 5 partitions on 4 different drives are no longer accessible even though the do show in disk management (the just don't have a drive letter and show as empty). So it looks like the partition tables are not fully readable. If this were a key code problem, then Win 7 would not boot completely, would it?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
June 20, 2011 9:15:07 AM

JeepnDave said:
Win 7 does boot, but 5 partitions on 4 different drives are no longer accessible even though the do show in disk management (the just don't have a drive letter and show as empty). So it looks like the partition tables are not fully readable. If this were a key code problem, then Win 7 would not boot completely, would it?

I would not expect a keycode problem to manifest like this, no.

That is concerning. When you say they show as empty, do you mean they show as unformatted? That would suggest that Windows is not reading the format code correctly.

If Windows is booting, I presume that one or more partitions are working. What's different between the partitions that are working, and the ones that are not? Are they different formats? Or on drives attached to different controllers (sounds like there are quite a few drives in this machine)?

Hmm, I've just looked up the motherboard, and the only SATA controller on it is the ICH7, which means you should have just one driver for all four ports. That makes it even more confusing.

Good luck with this one!
m
l
June 20, 2011 2:47:01 PM

There are 4 drives in this machine, the first drive is partitioned into two partitions. The first partition is the C: drive and that is what the machine boots from. The second partition on that drive will not let me assign a drive letter to it and shows that the empty space is the same as the partitioned space. One of the other drives also has two partitions but the second one is the one I can access and has a drive letter of I:. The other two drives none of the partitions are available and show the empty space as the same as the partitioned space.
m
l

Best solution

a c 233 $ Windows 7
a c 386 G Storage
June 28, 2011 6:30:59 PM

You can try easeus partiton manager to see if it can recover those partitions.

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm
July 5, 2011 3:53:37 PM

Well what it turned out to be was that all of the partitions that I could not access were hidden. So with the help of Partition Wizard I was able to unhide them. But when I rebooted they would be hidden again. So I found that if I changed them to Logical partitions then they would not get hidden after a reboot. So now I am able to access all of my drives and Partitions from Win 7.

Thanks for your help!!!
m
l
July 15, 2011 12:17:51 AM

Best answer selected by JeepnDave.
m
l
!