Stock INTEL HSF i5-2500k issues

darklabeley55

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Ok, so we all know how much of a pos the stock hsk for intel is. But, that is not to say it is a total waste. So, my rig has an i5-2500k with stock hsf installed. At first one pin was not in all the way. Problem solved. But I still get high temps. It reaches 96C on intel burn test then I close the program fearing for the stability and damage control of my cpu. So I said hm maybe it's the thermal paste. Went and bought artcic silver 5 and only used a pea sized amount and let the hsf spread it out on its own. I checked to see if this clean install had a pin out of line. It is installed correctly, fan plugged in. The temps are just too high all around. How long do I wait after applying arctic silver to get optimal cooling? That is, i reapplied the paste today, and tried to burn it in. Will it be the same temps today, as it will in 3 months? Or should I just cut my losses and buy a better air cooler...looking to spend <40$ if possible. Thanks!

G

You don't need to wait. Usually only 1-3 degree improvement i believe.
You sure you installed it correctly?
What's your idle temp?
Did you oc?

darklabeley55

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
No OC on the cpu. idle is around 38/35 c in a 74 farenheit room. Load is all over the place. Used to be about 70 in BF3 now it was 90c when I just replaced the thermal paste today.

G

Pretty sure problem is from improper seating. You sure its locked in properly? Stock cooler is kind of tricky.

darklabeley55

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
No, that has happened before, and it is kind of tricky because the mechanism that locks in place is not 100% engineered correctly. I had it installed wrong a few months ago, and the temps were not stable @ idle. However lots of people make that same mistake, but it was probably too much thermal paste.

I ended up buying the cooler master Gemin II S. WOW, insane difference. Now my temps do not go over 50C under full LOAD intel burn test. Playing bf3 on ultra, temps never go over 45/48C. Idles around 30C depending on room temp. Very easy to install as well, didn't even take out my mobo! Just installed in case and took off both panels...by myself no other person. Woot woot!