Computer help

sardarbalu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
Hopefully this is in the right forum.

Okay so I am a pretty new in computer building so I am thinking about using pcusa.com to get it built for me and then buy it. So my first question is if that is a good idea.

Second, if it is fine either way I want to know if these items can be used because I don't want a defective model.

A NZXT Apollo black mtower
An aBX 650W Power Supply [PSU]
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, LGA 775, 2.83GHz, 64-Bit Quad-Core, 12MB Cache, 1333MHz
Intel factory Auto-RPM Silent CPU Air Cool
ASUS Intel P45, 8GB DDR2 Max, CrossFireX, RAID,1394, S/PDIF, eSATA, Audio, GbLAN. [ P5Q-E ]
6G (3 x 2GB) PC6400 DDR2/800
Radeon HD 4850X2: 2048MB
Western Digital 1000GB Serial ATA-II 7200RPM w/ 16MB Buffer
24x Dual-Format/Dual-Layer SATA DVDRW Driver
High Definition 7.1 Digtial Surround Sound
12-in-1 Flash Media Reader / Writer
Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

This had a subtotal of $1,029.25

And I am planning on a 64 bit OS (for obvious reasons), but i don't know if I should pick XP or Vista 64 Bit

I am open to any changes, and I plan on using this computer for gaming and programs such as the Adobe Master Collection.

I would appreciate help in any way, and I thank you in advance.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Is there any reason you don't want to build it yourself? For $1000, I am sure you could easily build a new Phenom II or i7 920 rig that would be better. Part of the reason these would be a better option is that LGA 775 is end of life. It's has been a fine socket, but there will be no more upgrades to it.

You're not going to find a ton of people around here that will tell you to pay someone to build it for you.

We'll help you pick out a better build if you'd like to build it yourself. Just let us know your budget (I'm assuming around $1000), your main uses of the new machine, etc.

Dont get that PSU, i have never heard of that brand before, get one from corsair, antec, seasonic, PC Power & Cooling or OCZ. That system is wrong, very wrong. You dont want a triple channel kit of ram for anything except an i7, i didnt know they made triple channel DDR2, get a 2x2 kit of low latency memory. Get the 32MB buffer WD 1TB drive, the one you have listed is the green. What resolution is the monitor you will be gaming on? That determines what graphics card you should get.

i would suggest vista 64 bit so you can upgrade to windows 7, an AMD build based around a Phenom II like the 720, 945, or 955(965 isnt worth it since you can just bump the multiplier on the 955 up one). I would also really suggest building it yourself, its actually surprisingly easy, i did my first build a month ago and thought it was going to be a lot harder than it actually was.

sardarbalu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
My max amount of money I want to spend is probably around $1100. I wasn't sure about difficulty but if you could point me to a good tutorial or guide to building i would like that.

My usage will be gaming, Adobe CS4, Movies, Internet, and other regular things.
I want a good computer with minimal lag for games within my price limit. Also, any good builds will be appreciated, because i am a little nervous about this, so thanks.

PS: Any good sites to buy parts will be good to Thank You

sardarbalu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
I am very new so I don't know much, but I have heard that 1280x960 is good or 1024x768, whichever is good and a good price range please

Also thank you for the sites and video tutorials

Oh dear, not sure who has been telling you that but a 4850 will be able to max out 1280x960 easily, and an AMD IGP can give you playable frame rates at 1024x768. If we have got you interested in building your own(i hope we have it really is a lot of fun) if you could fill out the template shown in the sticky(link below) we will help you get a good build that will amaze you at how good it does, we can fit a nice large monitor in the budget too if need be.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice