Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Size / quality of rad make a difference.

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
November 2, 2011 10:45:42 PM

hey guys. ive built up a pritty nice gaming rig and i want to make my water cooling a lot better. im running an old school thermaltake aquarious 3 setup but with a new heatkiller version 3 water block. i want to cool my amd 980 and 2 6970s, i was thinking of doing 2 seperat loops. a 120 tripple for my cpu and a 120 quad for my gpus, i was just wondering, if getting a better water cooling setup and having some huge high quality rads will make a big difference. will it keep the cpu a lot colder so im able to over clock further? im running my 980 at 1.4 volts, 4.1 ghz and it huvers around 48 c under full load. with having the rad fan screaming. i just want to over clock further basicly and get my 6970s over 1000mhz each. and be quit. what do you guys think? if you have some good rad, water pump and res ideas shoot them at me. money doesnt really matter theres no budget.
November 2, 2011 11:28:48 PM

High quality radiators DO make a difference. Asking whether a low quality rad will make any difference between a ultra-high quality rad is like asking to run an Intel stock heatsink versus a Megahalem. (No offence to Intel).

I'm not entirely sure with pumps outside of Swiftech. XSPC and Swiftech are usually my go-to companies.
m
0
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
November 3, 2011 12:05:53 AM

First off, ditch anything that says 'Thermaltake' on it that has anything to do with watercooling...including the rads and blocks. TT has a nasty habit of using aluminum in their rads and low quality blocks and fittings.

Determine the amount of heat watts you are going to need (likely and estimate with overclocking) and then get a sum for the totals. Google your CPU and GPU models and 'TDP', and even try 'overclocked' and the actual speed you are looking for to see if you can find TDP @ overclock. Check out the sticky- there is a wattage calculator for determining total watts needed for power supplies...it can also be used to determine your radiator cooling needs as watts are watts.

Swiftech pumps are rebranded Laing pumps; Koolance PMP-400/MCP355/350 are all Laing DDC pumps and Koolance PMP-450/MCP655's are D5 Laing pumps. There are also Jingway in the budget category; just be aware of which one you get...of the 2 common versions, one is significantly better than the other (I'd have to look and see which is which) and are used in the EK watercooling kits. Past these versions, there are Iwaki and Eheim pumps with several models each.

Rads are fairly similar and offer good performance, but there are differences to consider depending on your budget and fan speeds you are wanting to use.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 3, 2011 12:11:00 AM

@ Rubix
Aluminum is very corrosive, correct? How exactly would you calculate how much the radiator can take? P:

@lindsey

Pump: MCP 35X
Reservoir: MCP35X Attachment
Waterblock: XSPC Raystorm

Also, can you give info about your case? That'd help a bit.
m
0
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
November 3, 2011 12:15:48 AM

Aluminium does not play well with copper and brass (galvanic corrosion), which are the primary metals used in watercooling gear. Nickel is non-reactive and is only used for plating. Thermaltake has used aluminum stuff for a long time, and Koolance at one time used it in some of their older, cheap radiators and fittings. Koolance has cleaned up their act, but TT hasn't (nor Zalman for that matter).
m
0
l
November 3, 2011 2:35:47 AM

ThermalTake makes terrible WC components....
m
0
l
November 3, 2011 3:14:55 AM

lindseyhunt1090 said:
hey guys. ive built up a pritty nice gaming rig and i want to make my water cooling a lot better. im running an old school thermaltake aquarious 3 setup but with a new heatkiller version 3 water block. i want to cool my amd 980 and 2 6970s, i was thinking of doing 2 seperat loops. a 120 tripple for my cpu and a 120 quad for my gpus, i was just wondering, if getting a better water cooling setup and having some huge high quality rads will make a big difference. will it keep the cpu a lot colder so im able to over clock further? im running my 980 at 1.4 volts, 4.1 ghz and it huvers around 48 c under full load. with having the rad fan screaming. i just want to over clock further basicly and get my 6970s over 1000mhz each. and be quit. what do you guys think? if you have some good rad, water pump and res ideas shoot them at me. money doesnt really matter theres no budget.



I'm fairly new to watercooling but after building my rig and reading bunches of reviews I don't think there is much reason to buy anything other than the swiftech rads. You can pay a bunch more but it will only buy you a degree or two difference. If I were you i would get the Swiftech Drive rad with the built in pump and reservoir and a Swiftech quad. Otherwise I would just get two Swiftech quads. I see no reason to get a triple, the price difference isn't that much, unless there are space considerations.
m
0
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
November 3, 2011 12:41:56 PM

Swiftech rads are alright, but I wouldn't buy them again knowing what else is out there. I bought them about 4 years ago when there were fewer players in the game and thick rads weren't really common at all. Don't get me wrong- they work great and are very good for the money, but even if you were to pay about the same amount for Swiftech rads, you could also justify spending a little more for EK or Magicool rads that are a little thicker and better design without jumping into their 'thick' model lines. It's just preference, really. If you know how much heat you need to get rid of and have an idea of how much radiator space you'll need- you can adjust accordingly.

Don't forget that 140mm and 200mm rad sizes also exist as well and offer comparable size and power for those models. A 200mm rad is almost the same size as a 320 rad.
m
0
l
November 3, 2011 12:49:31 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Swiftech rads are alright, but I wouldn't buy them again knowing what else is out there. I bought them about 4 years ago when there were fewer players in the game and thick rads weren't really common at all. Don't get me wrong- they work great and are very good for the money, but even if you were to pay about the same amount for Swiftech rads, you could also justify spending a little more for EK or Magicool rads that are a little thicker and better design without jumping into their 'thick' model lines. It's just preference, really. If you know how much heat you need to get rid of and have an idea of how much radiator space you'll need- you can adjust accordingly.

Don't forget that 140mm and 200mm rad sizes also exist as well and offer comparable size and power for those models. A 200mm rad is almost the same size as a 320 rad.


Maybe, but most reviews show that rads that cost 50 and 100 percent more are only about 10 to 20 percent better. You pay a lot more but you won't get a lot more perf.
Having said that you'll be glad to know I just pulled the trigger on the Phobya Nova 1080 which is actually cheaper than the Swiftech.
m
0
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
November 3, 2011 1:01:02 PM

NOVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice...make sure you post up on that bad boy once you get it all setup. I want to see what those things look like.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
November 3, 2011 2:07:39 PM

Great news Homeboy... cant wait to hear your opinions on it.
m
0
l
November 3, 2011 2:31:27 PM

Thats a huge rad.... Wonder what temps you'd get on it. :p 
m
0
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
November 3, 2011 2:36:06 PM

Probably similar to using 3 Swiftech MCR320's...I'd guess. Which, by simple calculations, works out to around 1600 watts.
m
0
l
November 3, 2011 3:33:26 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Probably similar to using 3 Swiftech MCR320's...I'd guess. Which, by simple calculations, works out to around 1600 watts.


2100 watts..... don't forget the MCR320 I already have. I will probably take the fans off the 360 and just run the fan below on the Nova. Can you say "whisper quiet"?
I'm gonna rig up this fan for it since I have one from my old case. It will eliminate a lot of dead spots from the nine fan plate and I'm going to improvise a shroud and set it up horizontal.

http://www.xoxide.com/360mm-case-fan-blue.html
m
0
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
November 3, 2011 5:45:00 PM

WTF you bought that beast? Oh man I want to know what that looks like after installation lol. Crazy man. You could run 2 PCs off it.
m
0
l
November 7, 2011 11:48:35 PM

SushiDragon said:
@ Rubix
Aluminum is very corrosive, correct? How exactly would you calculate how much the radiator can take? P:

@lindsey

Pump: MCP 35X
Reservoir: MCP35X Attachment
Waterblock: XSPC Raystorm

Also, can you give info about your case? That'd help a bit.


hey. sorry it took so long. i didnt get any e mails saying i got replies. i have a thermaltake aserv case. but im buying a new case. something huge like a cool master haf x
m
0
l
!