Need a board for 2500k, z68 or p67

rcrown

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Hello,
I am looing for a motherboard in the price range of 100-200 dollars to work with a I5 2500K. I was currently looking into a p67 but the z68 board offers the SSD Cache and this I may be interested in to improve boot times of programs, just dont care for on board video. What MB do you think would work good with this cpu, offer easy overclocking, be able to accept two video cards down the line. plus give some other nice feature with out busting the bank. Manufactures Ive looked at ASUS, Gigabyte, Asrock...Models well thats were it gets confusing....
Thank you for your time.
Ron

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
If ya don't need legacy PCI and AGP ports. I recommend the ASUS Maximus IV Gene Z-68 mATX board. I bought it and it has been a great little board. love the BIOS features as well.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
There are only two differences between Z68 and P67.

1) Integrated Graphics support
2) Intel Smart Response Technology Support

If you don't need either of those, then it doesn't matter which chipset you decide to purchase. Both have the same future upgrade path since they both lack native USB3.0 support, and both support Ivy Bridge (and PCIe3.0).

I have the ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 (currently RMAing it because of bad VRM/Capacitors on arrival). I haven't tried overclocking it yet, but it runs well at stock speeds. Has all the slots and ports I need along with a good future upgrade path if I decide to do that (not likely, but who knows). It has PCIe3.0, Ivy Bridge Support, and USB3.0 on the rear panel which is good enough for me.

pro-gamer

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

completely wrong!

p67 chipset is still alive now! how do you know that p67 is dead now, these chipset are perfect and perform closer as z68 series z68 is the upgraded version of p67 however they have ssd caching,integrated graphics,better video editing or conversion and we all knew that z68 is better but p67 is not a bad choice.

my messege to @ OP get z68

people who having P67 they are very happy with it.but now @op have a best choice of both i suggest asus p8z68 vpro.again p67 is not a bad option.