Sign in with
Your question

New System Boot Woes

Last response: in Systems
August 28, 2009 4:00:33 AM

Okay: I need help. I just built a new computer and put it all together. When I start it up, I ran into a series of problems which I eventually centered on the placement of my HDD and my disk drive. I have them both on the same cord connected to the motherboard. When I have only the HDD connected, it blazes past the "detecting IDE" screen and lands at "Bootmgr Missing, Press Ctrl-Alt-Del" to continue." When I have only the DVD drive connected, it again blazes past the Detecting IDE screen and, since I have an installation disk in there, launches setup. When in setup it goes unimaginably slow (most likely because it's having trouble with the fact that there's no HDD attached) and then eventually tells me that there's no HDD attached. The whole installation process runs properly, however, albeit slowly.

When I have them both connected and powered up though, it hangs for a very long time at the "detecting IDE" screen. It then tells me that my hdd is IDE 0 (Master) and then eventually stops completely at "AMD Data Change... Update New Data to DMI!", which is a screen I get when I have only the dvd drive too, but then it just goes right past it and asks me to boot from dvd. Eventually is gives the error, "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter." There's nothing wrong with the disk, and it booted fine a minute ago with only the dvd drive attached.

Ideas?

More about : system boot woes

August 28, 2009 4:10:49 AM

I just tried switching the HDD and the Disk Drive around on the cord; now the Disk Drive is connected closes to the Motherboard and the hdd is on the long end away from them. Now the computer blazes past the Detecting IDE screen again and then alternates either with the error, "A disk read error has occured" or "Bootmgr Missing." Both times the disk drive spins up to read the disk.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 28, 2009 12:17:53 PM

So you're running IDE?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b B Homebuilt system
August 28, 2009 1:56:44 PM

Apparently you are running two drives on a IDE port with a ribbon cable. So you must set jumpers on each device, and ONE MUST be the Master, and the other the Slave. With a HDD and a DVD, set the hard drive as the Master, and the DVD as the Slave. Then it is highly recommended that the Master (hard drive) be plugged into the END connector on the cable, and the Slave in the middle. On the hard drive, some models have slightly different versions of "Master"; in your case, choose something like "Master with Slave Present", and not "Only drive" if those are the choices.

You probably will need to go into the BIOS Setup screens (enter usually by holding down the "Del" key when booting) and into the Advanced CMOS settings to find the place where you specify the Boot Priority Sequence. Set that so your first boot device is the DVD drive, and the second is your HDD. Later choices should be "none". This way it will try to boot from the DVD first (necessary to install your OS) but, if you do not put a bootable disk in that drive, it will proceed to using the hard drive (which will be the "normal" situation most of the time). When done, Save and Exit the Setup routine and the machine will boot from your DVD drive as long as you have the OS Install disk in it.
August 28, 2009 5:20:33 PM

This reply is from my hot new computer :)  Thanks for you help Paperdoc; that was the problem.
!