Sign in with
Your question

Sound problem driving me insane..

Last response: in Systems
August 28, 2009 4:10:55 AM

So, before I give you all the details, understand this: I am a sound noob. My experience with fancy surround sound systems are limited, and I am not experienced with all the various terms that come with the territory. Keep that in mind while reading my problem :lol: 

Anyways, the story is thus: I built an HTPC roughly a month ago, and everything seemed to be working great. I used an ASRock A790GHX/128M for my motherboard, and installation seemed to go smoothly (For the record, I am running Windows 7 RC 32bit). Unfortunately, I was very busy at the time, and did not have time to test everything. Regardless, earlier this week I wanted to watch a movie with my girlfriend. I had some spare Logitech Z5300's laying about, so I decided to plug them in and use those for listening (Using the mobo's onboard HD audio).

Nothing was heard.

It was like I hadn't even plugged anything in. I get sound fine through my tv speakers when using the HDMI cable to hookup, but I simply cannot get anything to play through the speakers. I have tried changing BIOS settings, different speakers, downloading drivers for any components I can think of, still cannot get anything out of those speakers. I am nearly pulling my hair out here, so in my desperation, I turn to you guys.

Any help is appreciated, and if you need more info about my system, just ask.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 28, 2009 6:28:35 AM

I am certain you have already tried this, but this happened to me and I felt like a complete idiot. Open your volume control. I had a separate volume control for my HDMI out and my 3.5mm jack. Just throwing that out there, to help you avoid feeling completely incompetent :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 28, 2009 6:54:28 AM

something similar occurred with me. tried a new driver to fix my issue and nothing. I was going crazy until I realized that the new driver somehow turned all my sliders off in volume control.

And I rarely feel that stupid. But I guess its good to be humbled occasionally.

Yeah, only thing I can think of is the hdmi function may have changed some settings elsewhere?
m
l
Related resources
August 28, 2009 4:49:46 PM

jack_attack said:
I am certain you have already tried this, but this happened to me and I felt like a complete idiot. Open your volume control. I had a separate volume control for my HDMI out and my 3.5mm jack. Just throwing that out there, to help you avoid feeling completely incompetent :) 

Nothing like that at all in my volume control :cry:  Even when I open playback devices, the only option I see is:

High Definition Audio Device (HDMI)

So, no option to even change any settings.
m
l
August 28, 2009 5:28:01 PM

Alright, so I think I may have figured out why I can't get any sound to come from these things. From what I can tell, my motherboard ONLY supports HD audio (with Via's VT1780S codec), hence, it outputs all sound in digital format.

Unfortunately, upon looking at my speakers, I've figured out that they only support analog input. Would this make it impossible to use them with this system?
m
l
!