Need help with freeing space on D: Drive

KarinaEdith

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
My D: drive functions of the recovery drive for my HP laptop. I keep getting a message saying that a backup of my files is overdue and required but that in order to do that I need to free up space on the D drive. I have emptied the recycling bin, deleted unnecessary files on my computer etc but in the summary of space usage it says that "other files" are taking up 9.79 GB of the 11.77 GB available. Can someone please tell me how I might access these "other files" so I can delete some of them if they're not necessary to have on my computer. Thank you!

almartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
I would delete some of the older backup's and only keep the most recent ones. That is what I have to do sometimes on mine. I only do a full backup. If you backup files and folders by themself then that may be what the other files are. Can you delete them from with in the backup program?

KarinaEdith

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
There was only one back up folder which was from 2009 and so I deleted that assuming it would free up enough space to run a new back up but it didn't. When I open the D: drive folder it shows that there is nothing there aside from the Recovery folder which is empty. That's why I don't understand what these "other files" are that are taking up all the space