Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How do I test my new build?

Last response: in Systems
August 28, 2009 4:47:14 AM

I just built my new system and loaded XP Pro. I want to test the hardware. I have burned a copy of the Ultimate Bootable CD. My questions are:

1. Which tests should I run? (I am assuming Prime95 and memtest. Any others?)
2. In what order should I test?
3. How long should I run the tests?

Do I need to run Memtest on single sticks of RAM, or can I run with both and if it passes I'm good to go?

I was able to unlock the 4 cores with ACC set to "hybrid". I plan to run the tests with the 2 cores first, then run them again with all 4 cores unlocked.

My System

New:
Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H AMD785G Socket AM2+ MB
AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.1Ghz Black Edition AM3 CPU
OCZ Vista Performace Ed. 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Corsair CX400W Power Supply

Repurposed:
320GB SATA HD Seagate
midtower ATX case
keyboard, mouse, monitor

John Zwiers

More about : test build

August 28, 2009 5:00:06 AM

No need to run memtest if it isnt giving you issues. Get HW Monitor and run prime 95 to check for overheating issues and to make sure that your unlocked cores are actually stable.
m
l
August 28, 2009 7:21:43 AM

doesent matter if it doesent give you issues, just run memtest anyway to see if you have defective memory
m
l
Related resources
August 28, 2009 7:35:03 AM

Well the 3dmark06 and pcmark05 are quite popular benchmarks. I like the pcppitstop.com because ti has a basic test that can be run in 3 minutes to give an idea of how you're performing.

Everest has a free edition that can give a lot of detail on your system, its very comprehensive.
m
l

Best solution

August 28, 2009 4:38:07 PM

I use memtest, 3dmark, and prime. Memtest and 3dmark tell me if my overclock is "desktop" stable, and prime tells me if it's actually stable. I run prime for 8 hours, which sucks if I am trying to fine tune things. That's why I use the others first.
August 28, 2009 7:55:11 PM

Quote:
I use memtest, 3dmark, and prime. Memtest and 3dmark tell me if my overclock is "desktop" stable, and prime tells me if it's actually stable. I run prime for 8 hours, which sucks if I am trying to fine tune things. That's why I use the others first./quote]

Thanks!

Before overclocking or unlocking cores, I ran two passes of memtest with both sticks installed, then ran 8 hours of Prime95 with no glitches. The core temp was running between 53*C and 55*C during the 8 hours of Prime95, according to HWmonitor.

I unlocked the 4 cores. the CPU won't give temps with the cores unlocked. The motherboard sensor indicated 36*C. I then started Prime95. Within 60 seconds, the temp increased to 62*C and climbing, so I shut down the test.

It looks like I need a better cooling solution before torture testing the quad cores.

John
m
l
August 29, 2009 2:04:36 AM

Alternately, look into the voltages. A small drop might make a big difference in heat output.

Are you using the stock cooler? If you are, you could check out frostytech.com for info on coolers.
m
l
September 5, 2009 4:05:11 PM

festerovic said:
Alternately, look into the voltages. A small drop might make a big difference in heat output.

Are you using the stock cooler? If you are, you could check out frostytech.com for info on coolers.

I'm a noob, so of course I'm using the stock cooler! :pt1cable:  I've been looking at the Sunbeam Core Contact plus a couple 120mm fans. I have pretty lame case cooling with just one small (80mm or 90mm) exhaust fan in the back.

So you are saying that if I drop the CPU voltage a little, that will substantially lower the heat output?

Thanks for your help!
m
l
September 5, 2009 4:15:14 PM

I would get the Sunbeam Core Contact (or another good HSF) before I would try and unlock the 4th core. The stock cooler isn't going to keep your temps down good enough through the overclocking process to unlock the 4th core... temperatures will start to be an issue.
m
l
!