Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 5850 need help

Last response: in Overclocking
November 3, 2011 4:26:59 AM

how do i overclock????? what values do i use when setting up the overclock.
what to know how to downclock because i have read that this graphics card is overcloked from factory and am having problems with gliches . want to see if downclocking will help with the problem i am running a xfx ati radeon hd 5850 znfv. thanks

More about : radeon 5850

a b U Graphics card
a c 291 K Overclocking
November 3, 2011 3:09:07 PM

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

Download MSI Afterburner and rise the clocks in little steps, test for stability each time and keep your eyes on temps.

For the problem, return it to warranty.
m
l
November 3, 2011 3:37:26 PM

If the card is new and you are having issues, return it for a replacement.
m
l
Related resources
November 3, 2011 4:58:47 PM

hi i have recently started working with computers and got this hole rig for free i was able to fix every problem i encountered. had the hole system up and running with a radeon x800 xl. i just looked at the drivers and found that i am missing the pci driver for the radeon 5850 card i downloaded the ati catalyst and it only fixed the vga pci driver. i looked for the softwear dick but cant find it so im stuck wondering if the problems are just driver issues. been searching for the drivers but cant find them.
i tryed the msi afterburner and i was wondering about when u turn it down is thatt ok and when u do that do u need to do a little at a time?????
m
l
November 3, 2011 5:06:47 PM

i invested in a laptop running a i7 2720 with a nvidia geforce gt 555m. i am able to overclock but not sure about it. so this is the reason for learning with the rig i am having problems with because its ok if it brakes
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
November 3, 2011 5:26:34 PM

Uh... what? I realise english probably isn't your native language so I'm trying to figure out what you're talking about but... it's not making much sense to me.

What I'm understanding is you bought an old PC with an x800 XL in it - which means it's probably very old (5-6 years?). Anyway, so then you... bought a 5850? Now I'm guessing this was just a mistake, but you need the pcie drivers? PCI and PCIe are completely different interfaces. The 5850 uses PCIe. Anyway, the 5850 drivers are not at all the same as PCIe drivers, which are part of your chipset and generally don't need updating.

Ok so 5850 drivers can be had from AMD's website, just google "AMD Drivers". 11.10 is the newest version.

Now, I do not know what you mean by it only fixed the vga pci driver? And looked for the software dick? I don't know what you're talking about here, sorry.

Anyway the important thing is, what sort of issues are you having? And if you can please list the system specs - CPU, motherboard, RAM, power supply.

As for overclocking, there are a lot of guides out there but I really have to say I don't think you should go down that road. Please don't do it blindly, anyway. Make a mistake and you can fry your computer.

m
l
November 3, 2011 5:35:25 PM

ya, be nice to know total system specs.
m
l
November 4, 2011 5:24:48 AM

hi my computer was given to me, it a little older but its a computer that i can learn to fix. i am not worried about blowing it up its only a test rig

ASRock 939Dual vista motherboard
OCZ model no. OCZ-520 12U power supply
AMD Athnlon(tm) 64 FX-55 Processor 2.26 GHz
2.00GB Ram

wondering if the xfx ati radeon hd 5850 znfv is compatible with my computer
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 291 K Overclocking
November 4, 2011 12:49:18 PM

goingb said:
hi my computer was given to me, it a little older but its a computer that i can learn to fix. i am not worried about blowing it up its only a test rig

2.00GB Ram

wondering if the xfx ati radeon hd 5850 znfv is compatible with my computer

Yeah, it's compatible but the CPU is a bottleneck for the GPU.
m
l
November 4, 2011 4:05:38 PM

ya,

Big time bottle necking going on!!!!
m
l
November 4, 2011 7:46:20 PM

when i was given this 5850 card everything was working untill the 3D graphics were enabled, then the glitching started. I dont have soft-wear or Manuel for the 5850.

I would really like information on the capability of the xfx ati radeon hd5850 znfv
need to know if their is a idle down setting.
average fan speed (what to high whats to low)
how to disable the 3D graphics (if applicable)
min power is 500W for the 5850. Is my power supply good enuf??????? or is upgrade needed???
i believe that i can upgrade my ram to 4G. Is this a must???

my specs again are
2.00GB Ram
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
November 4, 2011 8:51:44 PM

5850s are actually really nice and efficient, at stock speeds they're only drawing up to 130W so you should be fine.

The software would be out of date by the time you install it off a CD - the only software you need is the Catalyst drivers from AMD's website.

3D graphics are used automatically when you open something in 3D like a game. Otherwise in windows it just uses 2D. The card will automatically change it's clocks. If you have a completely stock card then at idle it's generally at 157/300, watching movies it'll bump up to 300/500 or 550/900, and then in full 3D it's at 700/1000 (core/memory).

It would help a lot if you could explain what you mean by glitching. What is happening? There's literally a hundred different scenarios so please try to be as exact about the problem as possible.

Like the others mentioned, your CPU is extremely old and slow and is definitely going to be holding back your GPU. It would take a massive overclock to get it up to a satisfactory speed for the GPU (at least for many games, some aren't so greedy).

And yes you should upgrade the RAM to 4gb if you can.
m
l
November 7, 2011 6:09:18 AM

when i first installed the card i noticed that windows was slow but it was fine so i left the computer on for about 45min and then problems starrted. open windows on the desk top would lag out while moving. after that i got a white screen. i shut down then started back up. windows was slow but runningafter about 5 min i got a white screen again.

i put my hand (physicality) beside graphics card and could feel some real heat coming for the 5850. the heat was around the power connection side of the graphics card.

got the card second hand for nothing, Buddy i got it from said that he was having problems once he started playing with the 3d part of the card

ok I dont know much but i really think that the card is over heating it seamed fine when i first installed the 5850 card but after it heated up it just didnt want to work.
thank u for ur input

m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
November 7, 2011 1:35:02 PM

Sounds like your buddy might have been overclocking it and screwed it up. If you can, as soon as you get into windows try to open Catalyst Control Center and go to Overdrive, then set the clocks as low as possible (or at least see what they are at).

Ask him if he flashed the BIOS on the cards. If so, it's possible to get it back to stock but it'll take some effort.
m
l
!